gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Has anyone heard of GAZ coilivers? Or better still anyone got them in their C?

Mate of mine was telling me how a fully adjustable set of GAZ coilovers will cost around £500. Just wanna know if anyone here has first hand experience of the company and the quality of the products.

Ill post more info as i get it

cheers

H

p.s here is the website...

http://www.gaz-shocks.com/

The regular H&R coilovers are the 'comfort' version of the pss.

Interesting though, keep us posted. I'd be interested to know what spring rates Bilstein use on your 'custom' kit when it comes back.

What are the H & R spring rates? I knew the H&R's use the Bilstein dampers, but didn't know they were a comfort option!!

JonRB has just fitted a set of GAZ Golds.

Hopefully he will be along shortly to tell us about them !

Hi guys!

Yes, I have GAZ on my Corrado. I think that I am only the second Corrado to have them (the first being Kev) and the first to have them fitted with standard top mounts (Kev's were non-standard). They're not a standard kit and required Vince at Stealth to sub-contract the fabrication of custom aluminium spacers to get them to fit that cost me an arm and a leg (just over £100 as I recall). :(

The car is a little under-sprung at the front at the moment and I'm waiting for some stiffer front springs from Absolutely Shocks at the moment, and in the meantime am having to run the front dampers much stiffer than desirable to compensate at the moment, with the dampers working harder than they should to support the car through bends when the springs should be doing that work. That's not just my opinion but that of Calum Lockie (former British GT Champion) who very kindly helped me with setup during a Goldtrack track day - top man!

Plus points of the setup is that they are very adjustable. Whereas with the Koni and H&R setup I had before the difference between full firm and full soft was small, with the GAZ dampers even a few clicks are very noticeable and the difference between full soft (water bed) and full hard (concrete floor) is immense.

Downside is that they cost at least twice as much a Koni and H&R setup but I'm not convinced that they are twice as good. Having said that, from what I can gather by keeping my eyes open on here and also keeping my ears open with other owners, as coilovers go their NVH (Noise, Vibration and Hardness) is amongst the best of the coilovers.

Right, i started reading all of this thread but after 7 pages i was starting to lose the will to live. There probably is no concrete answer but what i want to know is-- My car (2.0 16v) has 17s on it 7 or 7.5 wide, cant remember the tyre depth but its quite a low profile. At the moment the offset is wrong and the wheels are sunk a little too far into the arches so im gonna get some spacers. I want to lower the car so what is the most suitable coilover kit. I dont mind the ride being too harsh and i'd like to go as low as possible. If the wheels were pushed out (with spacers) will i need to roll the arches (or bash them in with a hammer). I'd like to keep the budget down to around 750, any cheaper is a bonus. Thanks.

My car (2.0 16v) has 17s on it 7 or 7.5 wide, cant remember the tyre depth but its quite a low profile. At the moment the offset is wrong and the wheels are sunk a little too far into the arches so im gonna get some spacers. I want to lower the car so what is the most suitable coilover kit. I dont mind the ride being too harsh and i'd like to go as low as possible. If the wheels were pushed out (with spacers) will i need to roll the arches (or bash them in with a hammer). I'd like to keep the budget down to around 750, any cheaper is a bonus. Thanks.

Kids today, eh? Not interested in handling, just how it looks. ;)

haha very funny. wheels are in fact pro race 1.2s one of the lightest wheels available and with the low profile tyres roughly keep the same rolling radius. so less tyre flex and less weight.

I'd say it driving would be a bonus yes. I dont want it scraping the floor just less roll.

So instead of a load of smart ass comments has anybody got any advice?

haha very funny. wheels are in fact pro race 1.2s one of the lightest wheels available and with the low profile tyres roughly keep the same rolling radius. so less tyre flex and less weight.

I'd say it driving would be a bonus yes. I dont want it scraping the floor just less roll.

So instead of a load of smart ass comments has anybody got any advice?

Everything you mention points away from handling and towards looks. Slammed ride height ruins handling, super-wide wheels ruin handling, spacers don't do a lot to help matters either, ultra-low profile tyres ruin handling too.

Specifically, if you lower the suspension too much then the roll centre drops causing bump steer and the steering rods point upwards causing toe out in bump, both of which compromise handling.

So, which is more important? Slammed pimp-my-ride looks or handling? Because you can't have both.

If you want less roll then fit stiffer anti-roll bars and possibly tie bars and strut braces.

all i want is to lower it 30mm or so. i need spacers because the wheels are the wrong offset (old wheels from my girfriends mini) and the wheels are only 7j wide. as far as my knowledge goes low profile tyres are detremental to ride quality but improve grip, could be wrong.

... as far as my knowledge goes low profile tyres are detremental to ride quality but improve grip, could be wrong.

depends on the tyre to some extent, some have fairly rigid sidewalls on relatively high profile tyres so can still be uncomfortable. Low profile usually just reduces sidewall movement though, this may or may not improve the 'feel' of handling, but it doesn't necessarily improve grip, again a lot depends on the type, quality and brand of tyre.

A low profile tyre will generally tend to follow white, lines, ridges in the road etc more. It's possible they may wear faster too as there's usually less flex in the sidewall.

all i want is to lower it 30mm or so. i need spacers because the wheels are the wrong offset (old wheels from my girfriends mini) and the wheels are only 7j wide.

Ok, well that paints an altogether different picture than your earlier post.

30mm drop is around what you get from the Koni TA and H&R spring setup, which is a setup you really can't fo far wrong on (see my earlier post).

I've been running my FK Silverline X's for a few months now and really happy with them. Haven't slammed it by any means but a significant drop (esp at the rear!) and still a comfortable ride. Would definately recommend them

KipVR, I think the H&R' spring rates are 400in/lb front and 250ish in/lb rear.

Even they were a tad stiff imo!

As for the Gaz setup, mine isn't undersprung like Jon's. I think his dampers must be different to mine as I have fewer clicks than he does.

It's worth noting the Gaz 'Gold' kit won't be £500! Nearly double that in fact.

I've done approx 7000 miles on the Gaz kit and find it to be very good by and large. Certainly the best cross country kit I've used....but that's down to using mild springs, 275lb front, 200 rear. You want lots of travel for fast B road progress and good damping. The Gaz defo has the latter with it's oversized front pistons. Get the spring rate right for your needs and it should all work out well.

Where gaz fall down is in the zinc plating. it's cr@p quite frankly. Mine are all corroded up already.

The offer is there to get them replated but I can't be arsed. I've wait for them to wear out and replace them, or try something else.

As for the Gaz setup, mine isn't undersprung like Jon's. I think his dampers must be different to mine as I have fewer clicks than he does.

Yes, but don't forget that you have removed a lot of weight from the front of your car too - you've moved the battery to the boot for a start and I think you have lower unsprung mass due to your expensive custom alloys.

I think you're right that our dampers are different, but it could be that I have more weight up front and hence need stiffer springs as a result of that.

I have the 325lb springs now but won't be fitting them until towards the end of the month when Vince is having the car for a morning and is going to swap the springs over for me at the same time. I'll let you know how the car feels after that.

But my battery was only 6 Kg to begin with, which has been replaced with about the same in Chargecooler weight and another 15 or so Kg added in turbo and manifold weight.

Nose weight is more or less the same overall I think, give or take 10 - 15kg, and I'm also back on the standard top mounts now (got bored of changing the spherical bearings every 3k), so we're not far off in terms of nose weight.

My 17s aren't exotic, just bog standard ProRace 1s, which you can buy from Halfords. They weigh about the same as your 15" wheel, so it might be sidewall flex possibly?

Yes do let us know how the 325lb springs work out.

But my battery was only 6 Kg to begin with, which has been replaced with about the same in Chargecooler weight and another 15 or so Kg added in turbo and manifold weight.

Nose weight is more or less the same overall I think, give or take 10 - 15kg, and I'm also back on the standard top mounts now (got bored of changing the spherical bearings every 3k), so we're not far off in terms of nose weight.

Ok, well I can't help it if the last time we exchanged emails and talked about how our cars differed you told me that you had less weight up front and now you change your mind like a woman and tell me something different in public. ;)

My 17s aren't exotic, just bog standard ProRace 1s, which you can buy from Halfords. They weigh about the same as your 15" wheel, so it might be sidewall flex possibly?

I know you change your wheels more often than I change my undies, but I thought you had had your current set custom-made in order to fit your oversized brakes and sticky-out callipers? :confused4:

Well pardon me for not being so anally precise with my weights in our email conversations! If I'd know you'd quote me on it 6 months down the line I'd have signed a disclaimer :-)

Without putting our cars on corner weighing scales, there's no way of being 100% sure, but I am estimating my nose weight is roughly 10-15Kg less than yours!

I have had some Comp MO's custom made, well, shaved to a specific offset (I hate that over used and over glorified 'custom' word) but the current set are bog standard ET35 ProRace 1s. The only 'custom' bit being the PCD and centre bore, but it did take several emails with Team Dynamics and exchanging of templates to ensure they would clear the brakes though.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about the Weitec coilovers? Considering buying them as i'm on abit of a budget, would like to be able to stretch to fk silverlines but not sure my finances are that healthy! Have got a price of £325 for the weitecs and £605 for the fk silverlines. Want the ride to be stiff and responsive but not to crashy...............are these in the right direction?

Owen - have a look in the GB section - Gwerks are going one on FK suspension!

Silverlines are listed at £399 but I think these are the Highsports not the Konigsport Silverline X's - he may be able to do these tho...

Are you wanting adjustable rebound or just adjustable height? Not sure you can necessarily compare FK Silverline X coilovers with Weitecs if the Weitecs are not rebound adjustable. I think the standard weitecs are similar in spec to the highsports, konigsports have Koni dampers with adjustable rebound (silverline X has stainless steel pistons).

I was worried about having suspension that was too hard so went for adjustable rebound but not sure if it was necessary or not, I don't have mine on the softest setting anymore so possibly the fixed dampers would have been fine.

Don't think i really need to be able to adjust the dampenings, just the height. ( Nothing can be as hard as hard as the Bilsteins were in my old mini!) I'm not sure my budget is going to stretch that far either as i'm getting the front wishbone bushes, bottom ball joints ect done at the same time.

Well both Weitecs and FKs have good feedback. There's no point going for the FK Konigsports or SIlverline X as you're paying for the adjustable damping, just go with the Highsports or Silverlines. I'd check out the group buy for the FKs and compare that against the price you had for the Weitecs, doubt there's much difference between them