Sign in to follow this  
bristolbaron

Trimsport cannot do a rear strut brace group buy!

Just wanted to let everyone know..

I spoke to Morris [owner of trimsport] yesterday about the possibility of organising a group buy on rear strut braces and he has said that it's not possible.

To get the prices down, quality would suffer and its not something he's prepared to do. The process of welding and polishing to the quality that they are is very time consuming and metal prices have gone up in the last year, meaning theres no allowance for bartering :(

He's said the best way to get hold of one is gonna be at Gti Inters, or E38, where they will be on sale at £90, a £5 reduction of the web price [here] of £95+ postage.

Best bet if your planning on buying one at a show though, is to phone a couple of weeks before and put you order in. They took 5 to santa pod yesterday and had sold them all by 2pm :shock:

HTH,

Baz.

You'd have thought that if they can do them £5 off at GTi then they could just offer them to use for a GB for the same money! It's work out better for them as they will have to pay to have a trade stand at GTi so their overheads will be higher!

Would it be worth discussing this with Morris?

sounds like he's being alkward...i recon they could shift ten or more on here easy..£5 off or free postage would do it

trade must be good to turn down a £1000 of orders, plus people might buy the odd badge or gearknob as well

come to think of it...cant someone thats got one get a quote for a batch of "similar" ones to made?? id be happy to get quotes localy if i could get measurements...they also fit mk2 golfs so clubgti and dubfrce would have a few

bah humbug,, spoilsports,, if they cant knock a bit off of an order of ten strutbraces then thats just poor,,

right now wheres my tig welding mates phone number!??!?!

Moving to Suppliers seeing as thought it's not a group buy feeler :(

I can have another word and see if they'll do em for £90 plus postage? TBH i didnt think we'd get enough interest at only a fiver off, but if there is im happy to have another word?

im sure they will do them for 90 plus postage i brought a battery cover a rear strut brace and a dipstick they gave me 25 quid off for cash!

In Maurice's defence he doesn't have that much profit to play with in most of his products.

Especially the stainless stuff, the Chinese are buying up all they can and the price has truely rocketed the last 12 months.

As for copying it, there is no patent on it but I would be very interested to hear how much you could get it done for. I bet you couldn't replicate it for less.

I am not trying to make your hearts bleed but Maurice is getting on for 70 and spends hours and hours in his garage, polishing and finishing all his products by hand himself.

A grands worth of products to make maybe 150 quid. Takes him and you, the customer, closer to paying VAT as well. He isn't being difficult, believe me he is one of the most accomodating people I know.

If he was to add his time in to the equation, he'd never sell anything.

Not knocking you lads with an eye for a bargin but would a 5 quid saving really make that much difference to you? Add that to the fact that he sold 5 in a few hours, does he need to sell them cheap anyway?

On another angle, would you want those dummies at Royal Mail to be handling your polished to death stainless strut brace? I'd rather pick one up personally.

Gavin

Apologies mate, I did think it was odd you'd want to replicate one. I was sure you'd be ticked off if someone were to 'emulate' some of your products. Just read that way to me.

Sorry again. :oops:

Gavin

Apologies mate, I did think it was odd you'd want to replicate one. I was sure you'd be ticked off if someone were to 'emulate' some of your products. Just read that way to me.

Sorry again. :oops:

Gavin

No Problems GAV - we allready offer a bolt in rear brace but didn't want to cut the corrado about to much and want to try one of these strut design ones.

umm, bringing this thread alive again!

Has anyone had any problems fitting one of these!? I got mine today and im hoping its a user problem or my car is bent!

If it's not treading on peoples toes I could probably get these braces knocked up. After all I do work for a Stainless manufacturer.

Cheers

Dave

Indeed they are stainless steel. I have one myself.

I know Maurice quite well and can also vouch for what's been said earlier in the thread. The price of steel has risen during the last year, and Trimsport's margins are not huge in the first place.

Trimsport is not a big business. In fact it would be fairer to say that Maurice has always regarded it as a hobby. Maurice (who has been a retired from engineering for many years now) enjoys the business but doesn't want it to overwhelm his life. As such, there is no point for him busting his arse mass manufacturing goods at a knockdown price when he can sell them out at normal price.

Now you are entitled to say that you think that is a crap business practice, but equally it is his business, and you are free to shop elsewhere if you think he's too expensive. However as far as I'm concerned the braces are exceptional quality and bloody good value for money even at £95... You won't find the Dubweiser ones are any cheaper, and the Stroeve MS (alloy) braces are a lot more expensive.

I mean £5 discount is hardly worth the worry is it? It's not much more than the price of PVW for fark's sake...

John

John, i totally agree, the price is more than fair and Maurice is one of the nicests guys ive ever spoken to. Happy to chat dubs all day long!

Mine is fantasticaly well made and finished and was very safely packaged.

Unfortunately it wont fit my car though. Its either too long or my car is bent, or im trying to fit it wrong!?

would be handy if someone could acurately measure theirs. Id be suprised if its be made the wrong length tbh