Sign in to follow this  
red_rado

vr6 or 1.8t

currently i have a 16 valve corrado, i am wanting something a bit faster :lol: . so i little question for you all:

would you buy a corrado vr6 or take my 16 valve rip it to shreds and put a 1.8t in?

let me know what you all think!

I'm with Baz.... Turbo the valver lump and get some proper power... 8)

I find it really interesting to note that VW are dumping their 20VT range and going back to 16V 'cos they can get the heads to flow better... makes me wonder what can be done to the KR engine that's currently sat in my parent's garage... ;) :twisted: :lol:

16vt all the way. not a kr though if you want some low down.

they went back to 16v due to the injector placement im told not flow. a std 20v will outflow a 16v no worries. things get more intersting with cams though also im pretty sure you cant get bigger valves in a 20 whereas you can in a 16. there are lots of other head mods possible too on a 16.

phat got it right first time though even if it sounds vague. depends what you want.

I find it really interesting to note that VW are dumping their 20VT range and going back to 16V 'cos they can get the heads to flow better... makes me wonder what can be done to the KR engine that's currently sat in my parent's garage... ;) :twisted: :lol:

This is because the new turbo engines are direct injection. The injector sits where the 5th valve was.

ive been gathering some info on turboing my 9a valver, it seems like there is plenty of options only limited by wallet size (like alot of things!!!).

the only thing I am still researching is what parts are critical - which are nice to have and what upgrades the options would give. Once I have sussed this I think a reasonable cost will be understood.

Lippy

the 9a is the best out of box valve to turbo. the ringlands are good and thick, rods strong and crank well up to job. compression need to be lowered for proper boost.

guys the most important part is the management not the engine. keep that in mind.

io think 300hp is attainable for 3k including engine rebuild with forged pistons.

I think you should replace it with a 1.1 Rover engine out of a 1983 Mini Metro HLS. They were pretty nippy!

(pass the dried frog pills bursar)

I think you should replace it with a 1.1 Rover engine out of a 1983 Mini Metro HLS. They were pretty nippy!

now we're talking!

defo going to need a LSD now though ;)