Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

Smell Petrol in car

On my 16v C, there is a strong smell of petrol on start-up. The smell goes away after a short while, Im guessing the petrol is a small seep and just evaportes off the hot engine area; as the smell is present in the bay too.

Now Ive done a search on this and it seems a popular one; but many of you lucky soles seem to find a pipe spewing out pertrol like a fountian - no such luck for me, all smell and no fluid signs. I've checked the wiki too.

Now my problem is knowing where to look. Does anyone have a photo or diagrame showing the fuel lines within the engine bay for the 16v-er?

Oh and do you have any tips for replacing? Any easy or hard to do? Any of it dangerous? If stevemac is still about, do you have the GSF part codes/prices? Ideally Id replace all of them, considering age.

cheers, stu

not me.

Im not exactly spanner happy, my mechanic sorted it.

...................what a girl eh? Though I did take my cooker to bits yesterday, which is quite manly :D

i had it on my vr6

it was the 2 fuel lines that run along the top of the egine on the drivers side

when the car was cold it was there and then went as it warmed up

they pipes were about 40 pound each from vw

jay

i had it on my vr6

it was the 2 fuel lines that run along the top of the egine on the drivers side

when the car was cold it was there and then went as it warmed up

they pipes were about 40 pound each from vw

jay

me too. and there's only 2 of those fuel hoses left in the uk now cos i had the 3rd! :shock:

or get the local dealership to order them in from germany... thats happened to me loads of times.

After getting my head soughted out. I had a terrible time with this problem. Part of it was not enough care taken with hose clips ect. My car was in the shop for over a week taking up space. I guess they needed it out quick. Most of the clips were not done up enough. Upon investigation this is a known prob with the Corrado. The hoses sought of age and after the have been disturbed during work its near impossible to get em to seal again.

Anyway my smell of petrol culprit was the main hose that connects to the regulator. This was leaking and as you said pooling. Within half an hr the smell would be gone. Evaporated away I guess. I bought new good quality hose clips seemed to sought it out.

I would like all new fuel lines but folks on here have said that the main line in is a nightmare to get a seal on. Difficult to reach ect.

Sounds tricky for finding these hoses and fitment too. But thanks guys.

I just know if I go into my local VW dealer that I will need to be 100% sure which hoses I need, as they often look at me blankly when I just say I need a XYZ hose, they get all confused.

GSF are often more helpful - do they not tend to carry these sorts of hoses? Or do you know of different places that do? Although I presume the proper VAG sort will be well made and correct size and reinforced as required - right?

I'll just have to start prodding and look for cracks - just that most of the pipes are old and look crazed. Ideally I'd replace them all, but it seems a costly exercise and tricky, as said. Think I'll pick on a few random pipes and look up how to replace them - just worried some will be under pressure...

and yes I'll make sure I tighten the new hoses accordingly, without cracking any necks. A lot of these hoses look to be in tight spots... :(

Check list so far:

· Fuel filter

· 2 pipes going over engine on drivers side

· hose to regulator

double-6s, didn't you investigate aftermarket ones from Venom or somewhere...?

I looked at the alternatives from demontweeks Trig.

Braided hose etc. But it was a load of hassle compared to going to the stealer for one, and besides, i still have a large parcel that demontweeks sent me by mistake that i've been meaning to return for about 6 months!

Sounds tricky for finding these hoses and fitment too. But thanks guys.

I just know if I go into my local VW dealer that I will need to be 100% sure which hoses I need, as they often look at me blankly when I just say I need a XYZ hose, they get all confused.

GSF are often more helpful - do they not tend to carry these sorts of hoses? Or do you know of different places that do? Although I presume the proper VAG sort will be well made and correct size and reinforced as required - right?

Try GPC. Sort of a cross between the two. More knowledge than some stealers & VAG bits to boot :D

or get the local dealership to order them in from germany... thats happened to me loads of times.

Yeah!

Same happens here!

They take about 4 days to arrive!

3 out of 3 mate.

Just give em a bell, I must admit the last time I viewed their site it wasnt too spesh, but they are good...........

:infinity:

Got the same problem- think it's one of the two hoses that has the leak. Leak not too apparent but the smell is pointing to it.

Generally the advice I am picking up is that I should go for VW's own but are they really about £40 each. Has anyone used some supplied by GSF or Eurocarparts.

Thanks