Sign in to follow this  
.A.N.T.

Glueing perspex?

I've got some perspex, 4mm stuff, cut to shape to make a box, but I don't know what the best stuff is to join it up together.

I want a permanent join that will be able to take a bit of pressure, not a fantastic amount but enough so it won't jsut pop apart if you breathe on it.

anyone have any ideas??

(if it works, then I'll post up pictures of what I'm up to.......)

I've tried the silicone... I was after something a little stronger. Not my ride (not yet anyway) but my PC case, hence the need to be stonger than strong as a water leak may well cause a few problems!

It's turning into one of those projects which you wonder why you ever started it!!

check out http://www.overclockers.co.uk (goto forum)

they have loads of peeps running water cooled systems, and have alot of guides for various different mods.

I thought they used the silicon tbh, as if it holds the weight of water in a fish tank, the relatively small volume you are talking about in a PC system shouldn't be a problem, even though it maybe under pressure.

main problem is people having the poota PSU and pump PSU on different switches, then someone forgetting to turn the pump on and popping the chip through temp :D

gl :)

Got a few of my bits from overclockers, quite a handy forum there as well...

Might have another go with the silicone then...

The pump on mine is off the molex connectors so theres' no forgetting to switch the thing on... :D

my perspex box has holes drilled in the corners of the sheet, then a square perspex block behing for the screws to go into

dunno if you can see from this pic...

then use silicone after to seal?

You want Tensol perspex cement.

It goes on in liquid form, chemically melts the surface and fuses it with another perspex surface.

VERY strong joint. HTH!

niether an epoxy nor hot glue will do a decent job. Buth just try to adhere to the surface - which is smooth and gives little for the adhesive to gain a purchase on.

Use the right tool for the job!

You want Tensol perspex cement.

It goes on in liquid form, chemically melts the surface and fuses it with another perspex surface.

VERY strong joint. HTH!

Bingo, thanks!!

Knew there was stuff out there, just didn't know what it was called!

WIll use this to join it all up, then the silicone to seal it.

Cheers!!

"Sticks Like Sh*t" is good for jobs like this. Its bloody strong. have a search in google it is there, used in the building industry

Got a few of my bits from overclockers, quite a handy forum there as well...

Might have another go with the silicone then...

The pump on mine is off the molex connectors so theres' no forgetting to switch the thing on... :D

i'd be a bit worried about the draw on the PSU in that case.

although it is more convient, I wouldn't be tempted to run it from the same PSU as the poota.

PSUs are fickle enough as it is, just running a couple of IDE/sata drives and some CD ROMs, let alone a water pump.

I have quite a high rated PSU in my poota (I forget the exact power), but I still wouldn't connect it to anything other than my pc :cry:

niether an epoxy nor hot glue will do a decent job. Buth just try to adhere to the surface - which is smooth and gives little for the adhesive to gain a purchase on.

Use the right tool for the job!

You ain't doing it right then... you need to sand the parts to be glued in order to get the glue to key in properly, otherwise you ain't gonna get much to stick to it at all... :|

Back when I were a lad (and such chemicals were more readily available) we always used perspex shavings disolved in chloroform. It makes an incredibly strong bond that will also take a bit of flexing if required.

Good luck getting hold of chloroform now though :)

i'd be a bit worried about the draw on the PSU in that case.

550w PSU Should be enough to power the washing machine as well!!

Just looked up Tensol...

£20 a bottle!!! crikey!! Might well crack open the silicone again!!! After all it is the same stuff they sue to seal fish tanks... :?

550w PSU Should be enough to power the washing machine as well!!

in theory yus, in practice no.

Trust me, I have had alot of dealings with PSUs, and I wouldn't run the pump off of the molex connectors from the poota PSU

see how long that washing machine goes for ;)

Fish tank sealant is superb mate!! Think about how much a fish tank holds, and how much it weighs. 1 litre of water = 1 kilo.

My tank is 180 litres = 180 kg, (13 stone) and all that is holding it together is silicon.

There is no way, if done properly, that it wont take the weight of a pc! Oh, and its water proof :lol: