Sign in to follow this  
bigbluec

Fireworks at night.....

Help!

Have been searching for hours now through everything to do with misfires and HT leads to solve my problem but no joy :mad:

My VR was missing and found it was due to one of the beru red leads constantly coming off one of the plugs regardless of how hard it was pushed on (think the retaining clip inside had given up the ghost) so i replaced all leads with a set from Ford (look identical to the berus metal casing etc) which seem pretty good imho but again tonight it started missing so opened up the bonnet to find all six leads appear to be arcing to the head :cry: after reading through some of the search results came accross mention of liners? is there supposed to be a plastic liner going down towards the plug to prevent this happening or is there another reason for this?

Brgds Will

You shouldn't have to rely on any insulation other than what's covering the leads to prevent arcing, I don't think. My guess would be poor-quality leads, especially as all six are doing the same. If they're new take them back for a refund.

Yeah used the proper tool that NickVr6 has lent to me (life saver that boy!) the ht leads i bought are identical looking to the original berus with the metal surround etc but it appears that its this surround thats arcing against the head (they're arcing within the hole that surrounds the lead)

Cant see how thats the coil pack if they're all firing well and no arcing around the pack itself obviously could be wrong so open to any ideas??

Check the condition of your plugs,if they are worn they can cause arcing,but saying that its unlikely all six are doing the same and it would be more likely leads or dampness.

Yeah used the proper tool that NickVr6 has lent to me (life saver that boy!)

Reminds me he still owes me money for that :lol:

I’m guessing, based on your use of new leads, that the coil pack or bad plugs could cause this. Perhaps Increased resistance from the plugs or output from the pack could cause this. Could you try a new pack from someone else with a VR>

Did you use the hazet tool to put the leads on??

Whereabouts are they arcing - could be a knackered coilpack?

Umm Slightly embarrassing :oops: but the hazlet plastic tool i used hadn't pushed them on to the point of clicking on, just felt like it had, i guess the nice new rubber inside them was gripping the plugs fairly well.

Mystery solved i hope.......

Umm Slightly embarrassing but the hazlet plastic tool i used hadn't pushed them on to the point of clicking on, just felt like it had, i guess the nice new rubber inside them was gripping the plugs fairly well.

:lol: dont you worry mate, its way better than any other broken part etc... hope it all works out! :-)

Umm Slightly embarrassing :oops: but the hazlet plastic tool i used hadn't pushed them on to the point of clicking on, just felt like it had, i guess the nice new rubber inside them was gripping the plugs fairly well.

Bingo :lol:

I never use the plug tool as it's about as much use as a double bacon cheeseburger in a weight watchers seminar.

Instead I pull them out with long nose pliers and push them on again with a screwdriver. So long as you're gentle and only work on the metal part of the lead, it's as good a method as any.

Spray some electrical contact cleaner inside the lead ends too as the little locating ball inside them sometimes sticks and you won't get that reassuring 'clink' as they slide home.

I blame you Kev!! you were the last one to fiddle with my ht leads!!

BTW that cover bolt was female and came out easy just tapped the proper size tool in with a baby hammer!

The CPS has worked a dream no more flat spots or lack of power except when i dont put the HT leads on properly :oops:

LOL....yeah I did pull on them slightly :-) In true Shabbaranks style..."it wasn't me..." LOL!

Cool, glad the bolt came out in the end.....was mildly depressing at the RR day not being able to undo it in the rain!

Excellent news on the flat spots too. I have to say your engine did sound sweet when you blasted it up the road, even with a dodgy sender!