Sign in to follow this  
taw

Coilovers Rubbing

I have a new set of H&R coilovers fitted and running on standard 15" BBS solitudes. The rear tyres are rubbing slightly on the springs - removing the paint on the spring. Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks

I believe H&R's website does state (in a tiny, hidden note) that you may require wheel spacers with their coilovers if using standard wheels. Best get a couple of 5mm spacers to push the wheels away from the coilovers...

I believe H&R's website does state (in a tiny, hidden note) that you may require wheel spacers with their coilovers if using standard wheels. Best get a couple of 5mm spacers to push the wheels away from the coilovers...

Yeah that's exactly it..i've had the same thing with Bilstein coilovers,now fixed using some erm 5mm H&R spacers

give these guys a shout - gwerks.co.uk i found them to be the cheapest in the UK

i got a friend who has H&R coilovers on his 2.016v Corrado & he has exactly the same problem too..

How is the ride on H&R Coilovers with standard alloys, is there a huge difference and how low have u gone matey?

AmbisoniK thanks for the info.

vwcvr6 I find the ride pretty good - given that a lot of the roads I use would not be particularly smooth :-( I don't remember how much I dropped but you can get an idea from the picture below. I had the rear lower but found the ride a little harsh, although it would look better.

Yep, 5mm spacers needed ;-) But you don't need them with ET 35 wheels. It's just that the OE wheels are so deep into the arch (ET43).

I find the ride with the H&Rs to be exceptional for a coilover. They're very firm but never crashy. Odd thing with the H&Rs though, the lower you go, the better the ride becomes....but at the expense of suspension travel and therefore roadholding.

Ideally you don't want to go lower than 40mm to maintain the factory roll centre and axis but it just depends on your own personal preferences.

Looks like a nice drop- just the right height IMO,

I'm on Bilstein Sprintline's at about that same drop but the right is pretty unforgiving plus the backs seem to be sagging a little (I'm sure they are lower now than when I fitted)

I'm looking to upgrade to coilies as I should get the same drop but a bit more comfort

I spoke to the guys I bought the coilovers from and they have two different widths of spacers and I would like some advice on which to get.. He is doing them at cost as I bought the coilovers from him.

H&R DR Spacer 5mm

H&R DR Spacer 8mm

You guys are saying 5mm is enough but the guy I am buying them off is advising 8mm for more clearance and because he thinks it looks a better spacer. There is only £5 difference between them although he did say that long term I might be better to use the same spacers on the fronts to ensure there is no visual difference.

What do you think? I dont want to spend any money I dont have to spend !

I spoke to the guys I bought the coilovers from and they have two different widths of spacers and I would like some advice on which to get.. He is doing them at cost as I bought the coilovers from him.

H&R DR Spacer 5mm

H&R DR Spacer 8mm

You guys are saying 5mm is enough but the guy I am buying them off is advising 8mm for more clearance and because he thinks it looks a better spacer. There is only £5 difference between them although he did say that long term I might be better to use the same spacers on the fronts to ensure there is no visual difference.

What do you think? I dont want to spend any money I dont have to spend !

It's hard to say..depends on your individual setup really,or what you plan to do to the car..

i went for 4 x 5mm H&R DR's,but i've got a set of RS301's 7.5x17 ET33 going on the car fairly soon so i really don't want large spacers - just enough to clear the coilovers (a 7.5" wheel @ ET33 has 1mm less clearance than the standard 6.5" wheels @ ET43,so i still have 4mm extra clearance from standard which should be fine as the inner edge of the speedlines are only just catching the coilover springs)

if your keeping the wheels standard or not putting wide wheels/low offset on then you would almost certainly be fine with the 8mm spacers,otherwise stick to the 5mm ones.

i'm sure there are people on here who can elaborate further on what i've just said...

Your RS 301s don't clear the coilovers? Strange that as RCs and RXs go straight on with no spacers (7.5 x 17 ET35).

On the 8 or 5mm spacer query, can you get hubcentric 8mm spacers, or are they too thin? I need some 8mm jobs too but I think non hubcentric ones might cover the standard hub's spigot, so will make wheel fitment interesting! I've only ever seen 10mm and thicker hubcentric spacers

Standard wheel bolt length is 28mm, you will need 35mm bolts if spacing 8 - 10mm to ensure enough threads wind into the hubs. 5mm spacers are fine with the standard bolts though and wheel fitment as enough of the spigot pokes through the spacer.

The rear track is narrower than the front by design, so I'd advise against spacing the rear wheels too much in relation to the front, but you can always space the fronts out accordingly too.

Not sure yet as i havent put them on !

what i do know is that the standard speedlines rub slightly & using the wheel offset calculator it works out 1mm less clearance,so i'm assuming they're going to rub also.

that is strange because using the guide on your wheel size/offset it calculates 5mm less clearance - maybe it's the inside tyre wall rubbing & because the profile is lower on 7.5x17's you can get away with it ???

With my old BBS RXs, there was easily 5mm clearance from the tyre/wheel to coilover. I wouldn't take that offset calculator as read mate. In fact, MoonlightVR had RS301s and H&R coilovers and didn't need spacers either.

I'm pretty sure the PSS uses the same diameter springs as the H&Rs, they're pretty much identical kits....they're a standard 2.5" spring that's used on all coilovers IIRC?

Yeah after having a look your right they do use the same size springs - anyone want to buy a set of 4 5mm H&R spacers ??? :(

Guys just to clarify things. I am running on standard BBS Solitudes 15inch and don't intend changing them as I want to keep the car standard. So which would be best the 5mm spacers or the 8mm spacers. If its the 8mm ones then do I need to really use them at the front as well?

Guys just to clarify things. I am running on standard BBS Solitudes 15inch and don't intend changing them as I want to keep the car standard. So which would be best the 5mm spacers or the 8mm spacers. If its the 8mm ones then do I need to really use them at the front as well?

You should not need any more than 5mm spacers to clear the coilovers.

i would buy 4 to keep the track of the car the same front & back...

Taw, 5mm spacers are fine mate, it keeps things simple as you don't need longer bolts or hubcentric fitment. I ran 5mm spacers with my standard speedlines (same ET as your Solitudes) and clearance was fine.

The front track is 20mm wider than the rear track on the VR, so adding 10mm track to the rear still keeps the rear narrower, so it's not essential to fit front spacers, it's up to you. I would use 5mm spacers at the front if you used 8mm rears though. Drive it with just rear spacers and see what you think. You can always add front spacers afterwards if need be.

Kev thanks for clarifying things.

Thanks to everyone else who gave advice.

Right, I'm going to briefly bring this back as I need to get adaptors ordered soon for my new rims - with 20mm adaptors the wheels will be 7.5x17" ET33 (exactly the same as RS301s, and 2mm less offset than the ET35 RCs and RXs), so I need to know that they'll clear coilovers, otherwise I'll have to get 25mm adaptors for the rear...

Kev, you said Asim was running 301s on H&R coilovers, no? All coilovers run 2.5" springs, right?

Indeed he did. Pretty sure most CO springs are 2.5"....haven't actually measured them to confirm yet.

You won't know for sure if things will rub with any wheel/tyre/brake combination until you fit them to the car..... but going by what others have tried, you should be OK.

Ah well, we'll give it a crack on 20mm adaptors then, minimal hassle to get 25mm if need be... hmmm, thinking about it, I have a set of 4x100 Borbet As in the garage with 215/40-17s on them, so I can just stick one of those on and measure the clearance! Seeing as I forgot to measure when the 301s were on, and I've now taken the tyres off... :roll: