Sign in to follow this  
**stan**

HELP!!

Morning all. I am fairly new to this forum malarky (very new really) so please be gentle with me.

Anyway, just over a week ago I stuffed my 65,000 miles two owner spotless MK2 GTi into the front of a Mitsubishi Warrior. Not very clever I'm sure you'll agree. This left me without a motor and I attempted to replace it straight away. I intially looked at MK2's, however every single one I looked at remined me of my old one and just how good it was. I realised I was never going to get one as good again and promptly bought a 94 2.0 16v rado. This is my first one and I must admit I rather like it! Had five sciroccos in the past and god only knows how many golfs, but for some reason never fancied a Corrado until last week! Still I've got one now so I'll get to my problem.

It has this afternoon developed an eratic tickover. The car has recently had a new idle valve so it's not that. It's also just had a full service as well. When you start the car the tickover is fine but when you drive away and then stop again the car idles at between 1500 and 2000 rpm if you turn the engine off and then start it again it returns to normal. I intially thought it may be a sticking throttle plate in the throttlebody but this appears fine? Any suggestions would greatly appreciated as I'm stumped!

Worth checking your throttle cable where it runs through the bulk head.....they are prone to fraying at that point and can stick.

Also check all vacuum pipes for leaks.....again this is a hard one to diagnose without seeing the car in the flesh.

where did the C come from mate...? It looks familiar to me... and unfortunately not in a good way... :(

oh, welcome by the way!!!

I also know this car - and would recomend you speak to morphoeus on this very forum about it.

Cheers Valerian hadn't thought of that.

In answer to your question scarlet I purchased the car in Sussex but it was originally sold through a dealer in Glasgow, it then moved to Leicester and then down to Brighton. Its a 94 on an L with 3 previous owners and 86000 miles. Is standard aprt from the wheels and the coilovers.

Try the throttle cable as said earlier. I have just rebuilt my C and it has a strange tickover. Revs high on start up settles to 1000rpm then tap the throttle arm with ya finger it settles back. Gonna fit a new cable today. I also needed a new throttle plate. Not for same reasons but they are damn ecpensive new. Got it from ebay.

Use PM's for numbers mate!

Nice looking car though, looks tidy...

As for the throttle cable, unclip it from the engine and see if it feels stiff to pull back once the accellerator is pressed...

Is it revving at one speed between 1500-2000 or is it moving around?

It's not moving around. I have also developed a new problem now! Yesterday I lost all power and when the accelerator is depressed there is a loud induction roar but no power. I have narrowed this down to a fuel starvation issue which is leading me to suspect either blocked or dirty injectors or a problem with the fuel metering unit. however this problem is intermitant? I stop the car rev the tits off it and it clears. Think a weekend stripping the fuel system looms!! :D

Just a quick note, I returned this car to the Trader I originally bought it from after G-Werks very good work on the car and informed the trader of what this car had problems with but the fuelling had been sorted to my knowledge and cost.

I will do anything I can to help

It would appear that a few people on the forum know of this car. Let me be the first to admit that it has had the offside rear quarter replaced and it is currently about 10mm out of line. I noticed this immediately when I purchased the car and I used it as a bargaining tool. This affects the car on a purely cosmetic basis. I carried out an HPI check due to the obvious repair and this has come back clean. I then test drove the car and it was driving true and straight, I therefore feel I have acquired somewhat of a bargain! I am also aware that Morpeous was the previous owner and that he had some issues with the trader he had purchased it from. This has only come to light since I started this thread and I must admit I was initially concerned. However after yesterday taking the vehicle down to my friends garage, getting it up on the ramps and having a really good look around, I am satisfied with my purchase. I will however be taking up some concerns regarding the traders business ethics with trading standards, I will keep you all posted on this as it should be quite funny (I don't appreciate being lied to)! I would like to thank everyone for their concern and advising me of same, but I feel that this may have been blown out of proportion slightly! With regard to the fueling issue, (why I started this thread in the first place!) I have tracked this down to contaminants in the fuel due a filter being missing. This was rectified when Paul owned the car although there are obviously some remnants still floating around. I am sure once the system is removed and cleaned it will be as new.

Nice lookin c...

let us know how you get on with the issues, remember if you are happy thats all that really matters!!!

ive had all kinds of running problems with mine recently if the remnants are not the problem worth checking the lambda probe and connections and your throttle switch......

OK. This afternoon I stripped the entire injection system. Cleaned out all of the air intake system and cleaned and refitted all sensor connections, put it all back together and the thing runs beautifully. Turns out there were particles in the fuel lines and metering head which were causing the dodgy running. Took the car out and put around 50 miles on it. Drove it quite hard to blow out all the cobwebs! Behaved impecabley but did blow a big hole in the back box!! Looks like the entire things on the way out from the cat back! Any ideas on cost of replacement? Is it better to stay standard or go for an after market system? I don't like load and lairy, but I don't mind a nice tune!! any suggestions would be appreciated.