JMC

Passat W8 interior light conversion

I've got one of these on it's way - any chance of a pic of your hacked trim next to the spare so i can see where I need to cut? - or just the cut out will do...

Supercharged, I've included a diagram of the cutout area in the Wiki now - it's even in graph paper to make things easier :D :D

Also looking into how to use part of the original light circuit to make it stay on for a bit of time after closing the door like the standard light does. Will add that to the Wiki as well if it come to anything - can't be that difficult, can it???

Not the clearest shot, but you can see the red glow. It actually covers the footwells very subtley, but you can't see that on this image.

Still this is what it looks like inside a Corrado/MK4/TT at night :)

Cool, very swish Jay. Can't face the prospect of neons to give some subtle light to the footwells. Think I might try and set something up using wide angle LED's instead....

If you can get hold of a TT ashtray downlighter that will do the job nicely. I don't think I could ever fit a neon to my car, just out of principle :)

Jay

Know what you mean about neons Jay (too many images of Max power). But I do fancy some form of lighting for the footwell area. Unfortunately my ashtray area current has 2 gauges sat in it and the empty space below that is full of CD's. Hmmm, what to do??

The TT ashtray is actually suspended above open space. So if you got the downlighter out of it you could mount that in the underside of undertrays on rado dash...

Jay

The TT ashtray is actually suspended above open space. So if you got the downlighter out of it you could mount that in the underside of undertrays on rado dash...

Jay

Ah ha. Now that sounds like a plan (must find breakers yard with 2 TT's)..... Don't suppose you have any part numbers for these downlighters Jay???

Thanks, Jonathan

Right, finally got round to doing mine and it's in and working!

Just been out in it and i'm very pleased with the results, I managed to mount it the right way round but this was not easy - involved hacking the socket and some of the circuit board on the new part to clear the (early) sunroof motor... after alot of trail and error tho it fits really well and I think this is one of the best custom mods I have done and not felt I would have done it better if I had another go!

JMC - Instructions were excellent - would have taken me twice as long without them!

A few notes on how I did it and pics below...

- I used JMC's template from the KB but the hole ended up being about 2mm closer to the rear of the car I think as I had more clearance with he straight edge. (this also helps to hide the 'lip')

- I left the 'legs' in place but had to cut close up to them

- I removed the metal bracket and rubbber bushing from the sunroof motor, I replaced with plastic washers

- Because I had to cut away the socket I also had no room for the plug, I hardwired onto the connectors and insulated with heatshrink.

- I used a PC molex power Y adapter for the above as it had the correct gauge wire and 4 of them in pairs, I then used the plug to do the same at the Corrado side of things,..

- I didn't have to cut the headlining at all

- I got the fit very close but noticed something (the sunroof motor) was snagging on the board and putting pressure on it so the buttons would not operate, I found I had to dremel it away on one side near to the LEDs, I did this and it was still too close so had to cut more away and hardwire the LEDs together as I had to cut into the power track (see pics)

Right, finally got round to doing mine and it's in and working!

Just been out in it and i'm very pleased with the results, I managed to mount it the right way round but this was not easy - involved hacking the socket and some of the circuit board on the new part to clear the (early) sunroof motor... after alot of trail and error tho it fits really well and I think this is one of the best custom mods I have done and not felt I would have done it better if I had another go!

JMC - Instructions were excellent - would have taken me twice as long without them!

A few notes on how I did it and pics below...

- I used JMC's template from the KB but the hole ended up being about 2mm closer to the rear of the car I think as I had more clearance with he straight edge. (this also helps to hide the 'lip')

- I left the 'legs' in place but had to cut close up to them

- I removed the metal bracket and rubbber bushing from the sunroof motor, I replaced with plastic washers

- Because I had to cut away the socket I also had no room for the plug, I hardwired onto the connectors and insulated with heatshrink.

- I used a PC molex power Y adapter for the above as it had the correct gauge wire and 4 of them in pairs, I then used the plug to do the same at the Corrado side of things,..

- I didn't have to cut the headlining at all

- I got the fit very close but noticed something (the sunroof motor) was snagging on the board and putting pressure on it so the buttons would not operate, I found I had to dremel it away on one side near to the LEDs, I did this and it was still too close so had to cut more away and hardwire the LEDs together as I had to cut into the power track (see pics)

Good to see you've got yours in Supercharged and full credit for doing it the right way round :thumbleft: - looks like you've gone to a lot more effort to make it look factory than mine, but it was worth it. Good fit as well.

Yeah cheers - it probably took me less time than yours but you'd done all the ground work for me, the template was excellent and the wiring saved time too...

I might add my notes to the KB artical but keep them seperate to yours as cuttting the circuit board of a new part is not something everyone will want to do! - just a shame that motor takes up so much room!

By all means do add it on to the KB article Supercharged, it'll be great if people want to go the extra mile like you and fit it the right way round. Glad to hear my notes were useful.

Know what you mean about the sunroof motor - I was shocked when I took the trim down and found how little space there was under there. I decided to leave the bracket in on mine, which was one of the reasons I had to mount the light backwards.

has anyone managed to fit the W8 light with the sunroof controls into a late interior? want to have a go but need to know if its going to work/fit in the space for the orginal?

RADO.001, I've not seen one but my mate at the dealer reckons they are a fair bit bigger so it depends if the late sunroof motor sticks out as much as the early one??

anyone know if the part is available in other colors? i've got the beige interior. i'm sure they don't make the W8 unit in beige, but black maybe? i'd love to try this.

thanks.