Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

wishbone bushes

heard a roumour on here a while back that you can use audi TT or maybe golf v6 4 motion rear wishbone bushes in teh corrado wishbones as an upgrade as they are made of solid rubber,, anyone have a part no for these!??! :D 8) or can anyone clarify this for me?!?!

Wouldn't bother unless they're cheap, personally. Use Vibratechnics ones or Whiteline polys. The Whitelines add 0.75 degrees castor into the bargain too :-)

Just a recommendation and not gospel ;-)

where can you get these whiteline polys? had some powerflex ones in there before but they were golf ones and didnt locate in the horseshoes properly :-(, also what are the effects of running more castor kev?!?!

Have a word with Julian at http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk He can get the whiteys....not sure how much they are though, but won't be silly money.

Easiest way to describe castor is using bikes! If a bike had little or no castor (the forward angle of the forks), you wouldn't be able to take your hands of the handlebar and keep the bike upright and steering straight. Zero castor is what trolley front wheels do, they flop all over the place, but make it very easy to turn.

Adding castor makes the car/bike a lot more stable in a straight line and during cornering, adding castor increases camber, which is what you want. The standard bushes are poop and you lose a lot of camber when flying round bends.

The only downside of adding castor is increased steering weight. When you turn the wheel, you are effectively fighting against the road wheel's natural tendency to fall over, so more castor = more lean and more steering weight.....but in practice, the benefits seriously outweigh the negatives.

All modern cars are big on castor these days, just makes the car a lot more stable (especially at speed) and turn in better.

0.75 is a modest amount of static castor but it certainly transforms the MK2 platform as the rear bushes have always been it's biggest weakness.

Some track day cars run as much as 5 degrees more castor, but they can barely steer the car by the end of a race :-)

I'll be trying some whitey's myself at some point.....

I'll be speaking to Julian later actually, so I'll get pricing info ;-)

Whiteline are an Australian company by the way and have a brilliant reputation in Subaru circles ;-)

Kev - could you mention 'Magic Camber Bolts' to him - I think Whiteline do them but there catalogue isn't clear...

these are similar to the old mk1 golf bolts,, allows you to set teh camber allot easier and also allows a bit more room for adjustment i beleive

Interestingly there is actually a difference in castor between the VR and the 16v/G60 subframe/wishbone setup.

Jay

interesting,, what bushes do you run jay?

Kev - could you mention 'Magic Camber Bolts' to him - I think Whiteline do them but there catalogue isn't clear...

these are similar to the old mk1 golf bolts,, allows you to set teh camber allot easier and also allows a bit more room for adjustment i beleive

Yeah - It just locks it in place so it can't be 'knocked' out by pot holes etc..

I run powerflex throughout the front end and OE rear beam bushes.

Find it superb with everything else now sorted and brand new.

Jay

Wasn't aware the 16V/G60 had different castor to the VR, but either way, it's not enough on either platform! It can be done with adjustable top mounts too, but they're expensive and not damped.

H&R also do camber bolts for VWs. Never had a problem with the camber slipping myself, but they are very useful all the same!

Whiteline also do special shims to give the rear more toe and camber too!

I firmly believe that all these tweaks will rejuvinate the C's reputation as one of the best Front wheel drivers around....even compared to modern cars. It's just getting the time to do them all that's the problem!

Still waiting for info from my supplier on the bushes...

An aside, but yes it's all true.. VW added extra castor on the VR6 to counter any increases in torque steer due to the extra power relative to the earlier cars.

An aside, but yes it's all true.. VW added extra castor on the VR6 to counter any increases in torque steer due to the extra power relative to the earlier cars.

It's not enough though. +3.25 degrees as standard, needs to be at least 5 degrees imo.....but VW spared a thought for customers with weak arms :lol:

It's not enough though. +3.25 degrees as standard, needs to be at least 5 degrees imo.....but VW spared a thought for customers with weak arms :lol:

It's got PAS, hasn't it?? Poofs! :)

Jay, use the whiteline ones if you can't coherse your dealer into finding the numbers. Or AP racing can provide stainless shims of varying thicknesses.

Mat, yep...still makes the steering heavier though ;-) You could always over drive the PAS with a smaller pulley though.....but you'd need a fluid cooler tho!

I know, but that pipe that runs under the radiator that acts as the cooler isn't sufficient with a smaller pulley.