Sign in to follow this  
morpheus20170

Wheel size

I have been thinking about going from my 15" BBS wheels to 17" BBS wheels but I am unsure about OZ Superleggera wheels and the width of my wheels.

On a 40mm drop what is the widest without rolling arches, etc. please?

7", 7.5" or 8"?

Cheers,

Paul

you're going to get loads of helpful views morph, but on my 40mm drop with 7j wheels, they rubbed ever so slightly, you could see the scuff within the arch, from full-lock rub. Now with 7j's on standard height (0mm) and there is no rubbing.

Maybe the correct Offset would avoid this and allow bigger/wider wheels still...

Yup, the offset is critical... on a 4-stud, i would personally run either 7.5" with ET30 or 8" with ET25 - that should avoid rubbing on just a 40mm drop...

ET was discussed at length here CLICK

Dont forget the wider wheel means a wider tyre and probably higher replacement costs (if £ is an issue); common 205's fit well on a 7j wheel, but a wider wheel (as you suggest) I'd want a wider tyre IMO

and a well know fella on here said:

Wider wheels can cause tramlining (car wants to follow the grooves in the road like a tram on a track), cause the steering to be heavier and don't neccessarily increase grip unless you play with the tyre pressures...

I'd tend to agree with him.

interesting, i've just seen a set of Keskin Kt1's 4x100 9x16 all around and you can have et15 or et25, i guess going for the et25 would be the best offer ?what complications would you get? I guess with these you would need to roll out the arches?

Depends on how far out of line your rear axle is Paul ;)

Just get some wheels and if they need some arch work, then get it done! Simple.