Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Camber slipping

Just for info really...

Shortly after a 4 wheel alignment, I find the camber keeps slipping out of spec (too much negative). I know NickVR6 also gets it, but either the nearside or offside (or sometimes both) will camber in and one wheel holds the camber. You can visibly see it.

I always avoid holes and I know Vince's jig is spot on so it's got to be slipping on the strut and the bolts have been leaned on as much as we dare with 12mm bolts.

So, if anyone else keeps losing their camber settings, the cure is H&R eccentric bolt kits, which Vince will ordering a load of tomorrow.

They're about £50 IIRC (I know!!) but it's cheaper than a realignment every 3 months!

MK1 camber bolts can't be used as they're 10mm and work differently.

Kev, what are these bolts then as i have had the same sort of problem but i've never heard of these bolts.

Just for info really...

Shortly after a 4 wheel alignment, I find the camber keeps slipping out of spec (too much negative). I know NickVR6 also gets it, but either the nearside or offside (or sometimes both) will camber in and one wheel holds the camber. You can visibly see it.

I always avoid holes and I know Vince's jig is spot on so it's got to be slipping on the strut and the bolts have been leaned on as much as we dare with 12mm bolts.

So, if anyone else keeps losing their camber settings, the cure is H&R eccentric bolt kits, which Vince will ordering a load of tomorrow.

They're about £50 IIRC (I know!!) but it's cheaper than a realignment every 3 months!

MK1 camber bolts can't be used as they're 10mm and work differently.

Kev, have you tried VW, I'm pretty sure that they can supply camber bolts for the mk2 chassis as a fix for 'problem' cars. Only trouble would be finding a dealership with enough knowledge to find the part rather than just deny they exist right from the start.

David.

edit: OK could this be it? - strange as the part no. seems to be the same as for the standard Corrado bolts???

Count me in, and Tekarra has the same problem too

Sounds interesting david, ill have an etka hunt!

Sorta linked question, but anyone know how the jig measures castor angle?

This might explain some of my troubles too, but I'm surprised you've got probs Kev, since your hubs and struts are all new..?

THe hubs might be new but i'm sure that the yoke isn't

I think he's yoking if that's new

Corrado 90 - 94 TC212

and the price is good, i'm buying into this as it's a chore otherwise, i've set mine too far out and actuatty have a bit of positive camber which is very poor for handling i can tell you, but as it's such a chore then you need the tracking setting at a cost, i've just left it fo now.

Chris

Stupid question maybe but....

Are these just for the front as my rear left is out on the tracking, would this give the ability to adjust a bit to get the reading in the green?

Are these just for the front as my rear left is out on the tracking, would this give the ability to adjust a bit to get the reading in the green?

i wouldnt have thought so Colley, apparently, there are shims available ( fits between the stub axle and the axle frame ) to try and correct alignment faults but if it`s well out then you may well have a `bent` axle, probaly due to kerbing, or maybe the axle has `sagged` somewhat but i would have thought that would have affected both sides if that was the case, how much out of alignment is it ?

Vince has ordered 10 sets of camber bolts and will recommend to any customers who have alignment done, to use them.

Cool - I'll get some of these next time my alignment's done.

For £50 it's less than the cost of having another alignment done, so they pay for themselves pretty quickly.

Interesting thread.

Being as my car goes for its MOT on Monday. If it passes I will need some sought of alignment doing. I have fitted new tyres and suspension all round. What should I be asking for.

ie tracking toe in camber castor?? What. What sought of setup and adjustments will be needed???

You want a 4-wheel alignment, including camber - they'll have a computer with all the factory settings on, so you don't need to worry about most of them.

However, depending on how low you've gone and what kind of roads you drive on, you'll want the camber set between -1 (lots of twisties) and -0.8 (lots of motorways).

I think the factory setup is -1.2 which will eat the insides of your tyres if you're not on standard suspension.

Not everywhere can do a 4-wheel alignment tho - most tyre places only have a 2-wheel setup (IIRC 4-wheel aligns the rears to the chassis, then then fronts to the rears - 2-wheel just assumes the rears are right and aligns the fronts to them). Your best bet is a local bodyshop - they need the 4-wheel rig to set cars up after they've repaired them, so will either have one or will know where a good one is.

Cheers Dinkus.

yeah the car has been dropped 40mm and rides on 17's 205/40/17.

I'll drop in and see some people I know after the MOT,

Just to update this, both I and NickVR6 had the H&R camber bolts fitted on Saturday and they are the nuts. The car has never felt better and the camber is holding too :-)

MED eccentric top mounts and corner weighting next :-)

DOes anyone know if these eccentric bolts are still available? My camber slips out fairly often!

can anyone who uses them give some feedback? The design looks different to the mk1 golf style bolts, it seems the actual body of the bolt is eccentric rather than just the head.

can anyone who uses them give some feedback? The design looks different to the mk1 golf style bolts, it seems the actual body of the bolt is eccentric rather than just the head.

surely it has to be the body (or shank) of the bolt that is cambered rather than the head for it to work effectively; if it was only the head, then it would have much less to brace against and might even encourage slippage more than the standard bolts (as well as probably being more prone to shearing). if the body is eccentic, then it has much more to brace against and is much more likely to hold the hub assembly in place relative to the strut.

(well, that's how i see it anyway!)

i would also be very interested i a set.

not going to bitch and name drop; but my local vw garage did my tracking/camber for me and sealed up a join in my exhaust as i didn't have the right clamps at the time when i put it all together. after no more than 2-3 days driving the exhaust was blowing and the camber is off just by eye (the car feels "wobbly" at best!) - cheers VW; £160 well spent! :mad2:

i was just comparing it to standard mk1 camber bolts are. The h&r's seem a better design, it would be interesting to have some feedback from someone who has them fitted.