Sign in to follow this  
VR6Bella

Novice Rear Wheel Bearing Help!

Have rear wheel bearing which is going / gone in rear of car- any aid in the following would be sooo much appriachiated!

- would any one know what the torque settings are?

- any particular makes of bearings to ovoid / aim for?

- is it worth doing rear discs / pads at same time?

Myns been going through rear beaings since I changed the rear brakes to cross drilled, seems like theyve not been packed out enough with grease...

Im not aware of torque setting, make sure the centre bolts done tight & wheel to spining free.. make sure the bearings packed out with grease but runs free etc.. Ive always used bearings from G&S..

If the rear discs & pads havent been done its worth just doing the whole lot in one go, if the rear disc do need replacing later on you'd have to fit another set of bearings...

VR6Bella, welcome to the forum.

Rear bearings are 'taper' style so no torque setting - just hand tight with a split pin

Only use SFK bearings - avoid anything else...

Change in pairs and you may as well do discs and pads at the same time along with new abs cages if fitted.

You can find the procedure in any mk2/3 era Haynes manual but you will need a brake caliper windback tool to do the pads / discs - £15 from GSF etc...

Hi Bella :-)

There is no torque setting for rear bearings as Bally says. Officially you tighten the nut up by hand until you can still move the thrust washer using finger pressure on a screwdriver without prying, no tighter. I would always check them again for slack/settling within a couple of hundred miles or so. Rear discs wear very slowly in my experience, depends how worn your existing ones are really. Although I generally don't mind GSF parts, I have had more than one bearing from there fail in under a year, but they are only a tenner!

Great and thank you!

Rear disks not wearing evenly so probally not bad idea to change anyway. :roll:

Supercharged - Any explaination of 'SFK'??

Sorry I meant SKF (always get it wrong) - they are the OE bearing supplier to VW, cost a couple of quid more and last 3 times as long...

Ah (am VR6Bella but for some reason cannot log in!) will order the SKF ones then - local Bennetts does do them so will get on to it!

might be worthwhile getting new ABS rings/cages while your at it...........about £10 ea side saves trying to salvage mangle ones

SKF are quality bearings, AVOID the £6 VTECH ones GSF sell. They lasted 2 weeks on my car, I kid you not! I reckon they're made of from or something.

Never seen a mangled ABS ring. They rust, sure, but that doesn't affect how they work. They just pop off with a screw driver.