Sign in to follow this  
V3DUB

1.8T Bored out to 2.2

Just wanting to know if any of you have seen any bored out 1.8t. I have a vr6 which is very tired. I was thinking of doing the 20v conversion but bore it out to 2.2 if its doable.

John at Stealth is current building a 2.0 1.8T so I reckon he's the best person to ask as there isn't anything he doesn't know about them.

Why bother reboring a 1.8T? Just turn up the turbo knob in the ECU if you want more power..

Seems a whole lot of hassle for relatively small gains to me.

boring to a 2.2?

is it possible.

its a 159mm rod right with a 81.5mm piston.

my 9a is on 83mm pistons and the capacity is only raised by about 15cc

im pretty sure for big capacity you need a 95.5mm crank from a diesel with major mods, good rods and 84mm pistons. that takes the bore to the limit.

no point when its about boost. scrap the ever so poor k03/k04 turbos and get a proper blower for real power or efficiency. the 1.8 t needs a bit more lag.

if you have a vr then is there much point in changing to a 20v cost wise. is it not better to build the vr.

Recent discussions seem to suggest it's cheaper to replace the VR with a late 24v one than to rebuild fully ..

Why bother reboring a 1.8T? Just turn up the turbo knob in the ECU if you want more power..

Seems a whole lot of hassle for relatively small gains to me.

Can think of a couple of reasons...... less boost required to do the same job, better bottom end torque and obviously more swept volume to accept even more boost. It's why the VR6 only needs 8psi to make 290-300hp as opposed to double that + for a 1.8T....so it's a lot less stressed.

If it was as simple as just whacking up boost then you might aswell start off with a 1.0 engine as your base.

Well ... bang for buck was my argument. Rechip for extra 50bhp = £3-400. Rebore for extra 50bhp = at least three or four times that, no?

Of course I'm a big believer in the "no replacement for displacement".. but if you're getting rid of your big displacement engine ..

I think V3DUB has visions of big power and torque and a 2.2 would certainly deliver that without running insane boost levels.

But yeah, if you just want a quick 50hp extra over standard, then one of the many proven chips is the better option!

plus you'd miss that lovely 6-pot growl...

there was a 1.8T Ibiza Cupra being revved a little at NR last night, and it just sounded a bit rough and harsh, not smooth like the VR...

I say put a 24V in there and charge it!

boost on engines isn't directly related. a smaller chamber can handle gra

eater pressures in general but that doesn't mean more power.

displacemnet is the key. it may only take a small amout of bbost to hit good figures on a vr but its turbo dependant too. a vr usually is equiped with a larger turbo that therfore flows more air at a given level. you gotta boost a k03/04 to 20 +psi for good torque and reasonable power cos they flow poor.

its all about boost on a this type of engine so m ore boost for me is the answer as the bottom end is always gonna be poor compared with a vr or even a na car.

i think matts right bang for buck on the engine but you gotta consider the fitment costs of the 1.8t too.

id get my vr checked over first if i wewre you. a quick hone may be all you need with it. then its new pistons and get the head rebuilt. then make the choice for more power. id say you can have a hone and pistons with the required other parts for about 600 quid.