Sign in to follow this  
Rustynuts

Digifant 2 on 2.0l 16v - I did it!!!! (2 year old thread)

I am doing a conversion on a Mk2 Golf 1.8 8v, it is the later 90 spec and importantly has the later fuse board. Now i am planning a 2.0l 16v conversion and am looking to use the original KE-Motronic wiring from the car that was the doner: A Passat 16v.

The car will be running:

9a 2.0l

TSR flowed head

KR exhaust cam as inlet

4 branch manifold (Prob)

I have seen people running 180bhp + with this spec, but on K-Jet only, in theory the fully mapable KE-M should be better for the job? Or is K-Jet going to be better?

I really dislike the Motronic system. If the conversion is in a Mk2 you may as well use the 2.0 engine and the K-Jet injection since you won't need all the emissions bollox that comes with the Motronic. I'm having a hell of a time fault-finding on a 9A Corrado at the moment. K-Jet is pure simplicity. However, if you have the Motronic parts and don't have the K-Jet parts it's a no-brainer I guess.

To be honest, if I was in your position, I'd go for door number three and stick with the Digifant injection and get that remapped instead. It'll be fairly straight-forward and you'll need very few extra parts, such as a fuel rail and digi injectors. Just imagine the time you'll save with the wiring!

K-Jet is pretty cack too, just a little less cack than KE-Motronic. I'd certainly welcome the opportunity to bin mine.

Had not thought about using the digifant route. Where do the fuel rails come from, as for injectors i have some G60 Greys kicking around which i am sure I could use easily enough. It would save me having to use a lambda sensor which i would have to retrofit.

Anyone got any info on running a 16v on digifant?

Cheers

I believe G-Werks stock a fuel rail for K-Jet conversions. It should be a very straight-forward conversion if you already have the Digi loom in place. A remapped Digi ECU is going to be able to fuel way more accurately than any archaic mechanical injection system. No worries about running lean at the top end either.

This is a bleedin' good place to start: The VWVortex 16v Digifant FAQ

You meant this one?

Actually the initial scan of this shows that it is actually pretty easy really. Has to be better than running KE-Motronic and prefer not to be using a retro fitted lambda sensor if i can help it!!

lol...that'll work too.

I really can't stand KE-Motronic. Digi has GOT to be the best solution in this case.

Well yeah, Digi 1 has the CO Pot, boost value and Lambda sensors to run the supercharged G60 whereas Digi 2 basically runs off throttle position vs airflow vs water temp without all the extra gubbins.

Or are you going to tell me something thats more complicated, lol

I know nothing. It was purely a question I needed answering!

I'm in two minds myself now. I hate the K-Jet that's on my Corrado, even though it's running really well these days. I have a shed full of Digi II bits from multiple broken Mk2 GTIs. It's very tempting.

For a normally aspirated motor Digi 2 is fine.

Basically on Digi 2 you have the air mass indicator (MAF) which does the job of reading the airflow. On Digi 1 this is replaced with the CO Pot that effectivily reads the temp of the air (Crucial due to compression by charger) and the boost pressure is read by the 1m hose to the ECU.

One problem i see of using Digifant is the lowering of the rev limiter. Could be sorted with a remap i suppose

For more general Digi info have a read of this:

http://www.members.tripod.com/~fuelie/whatis.htm

I think I'm going to spend tomorrow digging stuff out of my shed to see what I can recover. I fear that a large part of my Digi II loom has been used as a donor for other projects. I reckon I can lash something together to see if I can get it running on Digi II before I totally rip out the K-Jet.

It's a bit of a gamble as it's running very well right now.

I don't think K-Jet is that bad really, the throttle response is much better than that of Digi. Having said that I would think that Digi will be more reliable and not need tuning up so often.

I reckon this thread is turning into the digifant conversion thread

People say that about the K-Jet throttle response, but I don't entirely agree.

I'll tell you what, you do the 16v engine in a Digi II car and I'll do the Digi II into a 16v car :)

Sounds like a good plan, I have not heard of many doing this conversion unless they are doing a G60 16v conversion

No, me either to be honest. I don't know why really since almost everything you need is in the Golf and you don't even need to get underneath and change the fuel pump to run the higher K-Jet pressure. It's a bloody brilliant idea I think.

It'd be nice to take the Corrado off the road completely for a bit and just get it done, but I can't as it's my only car. The only thing making it difficult to lash the Digi II onto my engine are the fuel pipes from what I can tell. Everything else can just be unplugged/plugged back in as required.

Time to start gathering information...

Don't go on the Club Gti Forum, they generally bow down to K-Jet for some reason.

I am going to give it a try, might as well seeing that the Yanks usually do things before us

It makes me laugh when I see that the Americans on Vortex were doing it at least three years ago and nobody here's really bothered.

In that country its 'hell mate make it work, its simple'

In this country its: 'simply mate to make that work its going to be hell'

I am getting some grief over on el Club Gti forum about this subject. The usual Digi is rubbish and it will never work brigade.

I would love to run Megasquirt but my technical knowledge really is rubbish so it scares the hell out of me.

I suppose it is worth a crack, I mean if it does not work I will have only bought one thing - the fuel rail, which i could then sell onto someone doing a 16v G60 conversion

I suppose it is worth a crack, I mean if it does not work I will have only bought one thing - the fuel rail, which i could then sell onto someone doing a 16v G60 conversion

I'd buy it!

Don't listen to the K-Jet nutters, you're wasting your breath arguing too. As for MegaSquirt it's a nice idea but there's alot more work involved, plus a lot more cash. You've got more chance getting it running well on Digi II in my opinion. Plenty of those MegaSquirt cars on Club GTI have been in project-mode for well over a year and still aren't running right.

It'll definitely run on Digi II relatively easily and a custom map is going to be better than any K-Jet set-up.

Yeah def a lot involved with Megasquirt and maybe a bit too much to do for me at this stage. Perhaps after i have got the car up and running for a while I could swap later. I have got to run in the bottom end so could do with something I don't need to map majorly to get running. Digi should be able to get it running and then maybe get a map after a couple of thousand miles.

Think its a job for SNS?

I'm not the man to ask about remapping as I've never had to have it done. Anyone that can remap a G60 should be able to do the same for a Digi II ECU though, right?