Sign in to follow this  
Madjackal

URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT

How much is a new sump from VW i took a lump out of mine on the dodgy country roads last night and only saw the oil patch when i got in from work today!! Does it come with the sump bolt?

I understand this is an asshole of a job any pointers?

,ight be better off talking to g werks. They sell baffled sumps, and you are right the bolts nearest the starter motor are a sh*t.

Engaged - not sure who do VR sumps but i'd stick with standard with how low your running...

Neil is away at the moment tho so can't get any discounts so maybe try GSF for the sump and gasket (only buy the gasket if it is metal reinforced tho - not a rubber/cork compound!)

You need a sump (comes with plug and washer), Sump gasket, Oil, filter, and bolts...

I've got some stainless bolts if you need them and 5ltr's of Synta

It's a horrible job but fairly easy to do - you may need a thin or flexible socket extension to get to the bolts at the gearbox end tho (I did on the G60)

I did a write up for the G60 one in the knowledge base which includes checking the oil pump...

am I right in thinking a baffled sump has small ridges in the bottom (pointing up into the sump) to help the oil flow? something like that isnt it?

Yep -stops the oil moving about so much under cornering...

VR6 sump is only £45 retail which is cheaper than the G60 one!

Yeah I paid about £50 or so around a year ago for a VR sump from VAG ...

Easy enough but painful if you have to do it on your back under the car. No jokes please :lol:

Tom - are all the bolts accessible with a standard socket or did you need a thin or flexible extension for the gearbox side ones??

I always used a 1/4 drive set to get easy access for those bolts. With a wobbly extension.

Gavin

Kev's just told me he got rid of his old sump :cry: guess a new one would be better anyway. I know what im doing this weekend then dont i! Probably in the rain,

hmm car jacked up on axle stands in the rain on gravel....

....anyone not using their driveway this weekend!

Plus im getting my BMC Filter soon so thats a good reason to :)

I just like to say i'm really p****d off because I changed the oil last weekend and fillled up with Magnatec! :mad:

cheers (again) for all your help guys. Steve cheers for the bolts and oil. I'll call ya tomorrow to update.

From memory, they're all accessible with a standard socket/extension.

You'll need to take off a couple of cover plates as well to get some hidden bolts.

You'll need to take off a couple of cover plates as well to get some hidden bolts.

Oh really where are they?!

Baffled sumps keep oil at the pump pick up at all times. As someone said, it prevents surging round corners.

Using a schrick sump on Alan's car would not be a good idea as it's WAAAAAY too low :-)