Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Can't make a decision.....what engine conversion to do????

Right guys, I've got a 2.0l 16v, and the engine is really quite tired now and the bottom end needs rebuilding. So do I....

1) Rebuild as a 2.0l 16v but lightened balanced etc and go with throttle bodies

2) Rebuild with low compression pistons and strap Bahn Brenner charger to the bugger

3) Replace with a 1.8T

Not sure on the cost of each of these, so any input would be helpful. Hoping to do this DIY as much as I can.

Many thanks

Mr Indecisive..... :lol:

yup - turbo the 2ltr....... you can do it for less than 2k if you dont mind finding all the bits 2nd hand..... you'll easily achieve 250bhp... :)

Not really thought about turbo-ing the 2.0l......

Would that involve one of Stealths old kits?

nooooooooooo! tis better to buy it all seperate... the old Turbo technics kits that Stealth fitted are a bit out of date and tend to still be expensive...

where abouts are you? I know of a couple of good VW places that i spoke to when i looked into it who could give you advice and prices...

i'll try and Pm the info and list of bits you need to you - if I can find it....! :)

nooooooooooo! tis better to buy it all seperate... the old Turbo technics kits that Stealth fitted are a bit out of date and tend to still be expensive...

Oh right! :lol:

where abouts are you? I know of a couple of good VW places that i spoke to when i looked into it who could give you advice and prices...

I'm now in Stretham, just north of Cambridge

i'll try and Pm the info and list of bits you need to you - if I can find it....! :)

If you could send that info it would be double helpful

mrbeige,

Had the same decision to make as you and decided to Turbo my 2l 16v.

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36863

Some may say that my way is slightly bodged in using a spacer gasket to lower C/R.

GazzaG60 is building his with forged pistons and hopefully he will put up build pictures when he undertakes the rebuild.

mrbeige,

Had the same decision to make as you and decided to Turbo my 2l 16v.

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36863

Some may say that my way is slightly bodged in using a spacer gasket to lower C/R.

GazzaG60 is building his with forged pistons and hopefully he will put up build pictures when he undertakes the rebuild.

Interesting, Dave that gives me a lot of info.

By the way what's your build cost so far dude?

£125 Exhaust manifold and turbo for (e-bay)(£30 to cut 5th leg off)

£50 Wastegate (all-Audi)

£130 Bearings, piston rings (SN Autospares prob same from GSF)

£45 Honing + fitting rings (local engineering shop)

£30 Spacer Gasket (my mate Tim)

£260 Intercooler (Rallye) (e-bay)

Inlet Manifold - haven't payed for yet but try all-Audi (£30 to modify)

£130 Megasquirt

All the extras like, VR6 clutch (£75), lightened flywheel (£80), oil feed and return lines (£60), Braided fuel lines (approx £50), S2 injectors (£40 from all-Audi) soon add-up. But possible to bring in around the £1200 mark, bearing in mind a 1.8T engine alone will cost that, and then you still need intercooler, fuel line etc.

Fair does that isn't a great deal of money is it??!!!

Well that might well have made up my mind!

The advantage of it is that you can start sourcing parts, so it feels like you are paying in installments rather than shelling out £1200 in one go.

If you go down the route that Gazza is taking then you are looking at closer to £2000 but for that you have a rebuilt bottom end with forged pistons wheras with the 1.8 bottom end you will still have 40k on it.

Turbo it :wink:

If you want to get good reliable power you need to do it right, I say spend a bit more on quality parts and save headache later on. Last time I checked a 16v T is very unique in my book. If you need any info on how to just shoot me a pm.

cheers

The advantage of it is that you can start sourcing parts, so it feels like you are paying in installments rather than shelling out £1200 in one go.

I'm liking your thinking!

If you go down the route that Gazza is taking then you are looking at closer to £2000 but for that you have a rebuilt bottom end with forged pistons wheras with the 1.8 bottom end you will still have 40k on it.

Spacer gasket wouldn't be my prefered method, but obviously the cheaper option! Forged psitons could always be done as an upgrade in the future I reckon.

Turbo it :wink:

If you want to get good reliable power you need to do it right, I say spend a bit more on quality parts and save headache later on. Last time I checked a 16v T is very unique in my book. If you need any info on how to just shoot me a pm.

cheers

So you think forged piston would be a more sensible, but expensive method? Aren't they around £600 though?

Found a website in America that offered them for £480 including rings. Good info found here http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86106 with regard to what company to use (don't read on too far as his bottom end dies after 1,000 miles, but pistons not at fault).

Best to do some investigating on the net to find out what is the best solution for you. Could be worth checking out http://www.vwvortex.com as they love Turboing their 16v's but tend to use 8v bottom ends, which could be one way of doing it as it means you can build up the engine out of the car and swap the new engine in when ready.

mr beige,

I have been doing some investigations on doing this to my C, seems like the best bang for buck option.

I have PMd Low G and he was really helpful answering my stoopid questions!

apparently the mk3 golf 8 valve bottom end and pistons provide a suitable match for the 16vt