Sign in to follow this  
Junior Jackson

Speedo headache ended

Long story, but lost speed signal whilst performing a full early to late dash swap. No speedo, MAF or spoiler control. Dash swap was not without it's issues - whilst swapping dash switchgear and door panels etc. I used all factory late looms so i had the fusebox out (many times) and wiring all over the place. I had the switch illumination wire for my heated seats plugged into the speed signal for a while etc etc.

First changed:

1) Speedo binnacle (gauges)

2) speed sensor in engine bay

3) factory loom from gauges to fusebox etc

with no results whatsoever. Checked for voltage at speed sender and was fine. Whilst removing old dash, I didn't disconnect the spoiler control module and pulled the circuit board out of it's housing - played with this and all seemed ok - spoiler worked manually fine.

Was convinced it was a wiring issue - wiring goes from speedo sender on gearbox, into fusebox, out and into gauges. Then back out of gauges and into junction box on top of fusebox and off to radio, spoiler control etc.

Spent the last month trying different things every time a new possibility struck me with no effect. As a last resort, (one speeding ticket later)decided to remove the shaft that is inside the gearbox that provides the square rotating shaft to drive the electronic sender. First suprise was that this is made of plastic (on my '91 G60) - second suprise was that if you turned the cog at the bottom of the shaft, the square piece at the top didn't turn.

Arse.

This is actually two parts - an outer 'guide' 02A 409 192 £3.69 and the inner rotating 'pinion' 02A 409 197 £2.74. My inner shaft had snapped due to the top part of it siezing solid in it's outer guide.

2 minutes to swap the shaft and guide and speedo etc is back in business (thankfully spoiler control is fine also). Can't believe it's taken this long to sort...

Chris.

The same happened to me on a peugeot 306. Cost £45 for the whole speedo drive unit, that was all plastic too!