Sign in to follow this  
blue95

2.0 16v Front Brakes - Bleed vavle snapped!

Hi just wanted to know if anyone had managed to snap a bleed valve on the front caliper! and what would be the best way to remove it?

There is about 2mm left hanging out but the metal is soft, is the best way to drill it out?

Thanks

There is about 2mm left hanging out but the metal is soft, is the best way to drill it out?

........ you could drill it out but be very careful, you need to get a drill that is pretty close to the diameter of the nip so all thats left after drilling it out is a thin sliver that can be pushed in and collapsed then removed with a small screwdriver , might be a good idea to run a tap down the threads after getting it out , you could also try an `easy out` bolt extractor but if it snaps inside the nip then you`ll have a nightmare of a job getting the thing out and may well end up getting another caliper :shock:

This happened to me a while back on a Mk2 Golf. I snapped an easy out in it and that was that! So as Gaz says, be very careful.

Can't believe my S**t luck, was only changing the shocks and thought I may as well stick some new pads in and bleed the system aswell.

Seen on vagcat you the valve is a seperate item, don't suppose anyone knows the cost?

Did that to mine too, sheared off level with the caliper, so fitted G60 calipers instead of fixing the 16v caliper 8)

I always blow torch the caliper before removing bleed nipples. It breaks the grip the threads have. After that its a complete bleed of the system and new fluid all round.