Sign in to follow this  
filski

Who has one???

Hi guys..

does anyone out there have an automatic rado? i have a 8v, 2.0L auto and would be interested to see who else has one, and any tips/tricks as i am new to the rados, had mine about 2 weeks now. It's totally standard and so any mod suggestions for performance would be cool..

8)

There are quite a few around, but being 8v and auto is quite .... erm ... special :)

The auto ones do tend to break quite often and are usually converted to manual.

Whats it like driving an auto C... I'd find it really wierd!!!! Can only imagine it in a Big car...

yup, it is kinda weird, and a bit sluggish i guess, but still a very smooth engine, pulls through nicely. It is my first C so i can't really compare it to anything else, and is good for cruising and chillin'. Not the greatest amount of power, but still good enough to show up a few flashy hatchbacks off the lights. MPG is about 26-30 ish on most journeys, used daily for work etc..

the problems i have id the MFA resets after every journey, as does the milometer in the right hand display..but not the total miles of the car. so it's like having two MFA 1's, and also i have had to change the fuel pump relay 2 days after getting the car, simple enough.

any suggestions for any performance enhancements? chips or the like??

You know there's 2 MFA settings?

Setting 1 wipes after each trip, setting 2 records until it maxes out

You need to flick the little switch to change MFA modes

ye! that's the prob, MFA 2 wipes each time i take the ignition key out..and it shouldn't do so (unless i push the button over to 0 on the stalk)..that's what is confusing, it's as if the 'temporary memory' which remembers that last readings of previous journies.. doesnt' remember, as the trip counter (reading in right hand display under the total miles of the car) aslo wipes everytime. ya follow?

cat really help with the mfa situation, do the clocks remember total miles and do the clock and total milage stay on with the ign off?

anyway as for whooosh..... you will need to do some mechanical work here to get much out of a 2l8v. More money you got the more power, but realistically you should look at a higher lift cam and maybe a chip. Work like porting and polishing of the head is always worth Hp but is more expensive......

Think GradeAfailure on here used to run a piper cam and a chip in his Rat....

Its also worth making sure its setup well - static timing and ign timing etc (edit: sounds like it is if you are not haveing any problems and its smooth etc)

i have a 8v, 2.0L auto and would be interested to see who else has one

Not many people mate - there was only 213 2.0L 8v Corrado's made, and only very few of them would have been Auto's

TBH, if you're interested in performance the 2.0 8v Auto is a somewhat strange choice of Rado mate. Just enjoy it for what it is , or replace the engine/box with something else if the chassis is good - 8v's are good for conversions as they're cheap, late, and usually not too modified etc

We get 35-40 mpg from my wifes manual 8v, so it suits us at the moment, but in a while it'll be having a newer (quicker) engine put in 8)

yeah..lump is smooth and so seems to be tuned pretty well.

all clocks and displays are off/blank with ignition off, put key in and turn and only total miles are recorded, all the rest is re-set to big ol' 0!! mebe just a fuse or summin simple like that..it worked fine for the first day, then the next morning all was reset......

anyway....mebe i'll just keep her polished and shiny as not much dough to throw at it at the mo. gonna look around for some nice tasty wheels too..got 15" s.

will look into a chip, but everyone i have asked has them for 16v models, not my simple 8v :(

well its basically the same lump that was in the mk3 8v GTI(albeit in manual form) there surely must be someone who does a chip

I've got a VR6 auto. Most of the time it's great (traffic, cruising, etc), but then when i fancy putting my foot down, i generally start playing with the selector to keep it from hitting 4th every time i go over 40 without giving it full throttle.

What's involved in converting from auto to manual? Gotta be quite a lot of work! something i've always wondered but never dared ask!

Gollfy..tell me what/how you did it..did you do it yourself? a lot of work? be interesting to know..and how is the result? nicer?