Sign in to follow this  
CraiG60

2.0 litre 16v or 1.8 16v Which one

Hi all,

Trying to make a decision between 2.0 litre 16v or 1.8 16v corrado trying to make a list of pros and cons of both before i buy one of them. Due to being a bit of a RADO virgin if you have had either of these or both can you help by posting pros and cons for each type please

Craig

The 2.0 16v is easier to live with day-to-day, due to the flatter torque curve and the shorter gears, but I love the fact that I don't have to worry about the strict emissions test during the MOT with my 1.8 16v.

Basically, I'm plenty happy enough with my 1.8.

happy b'day bc :cheers:

(think) all the 2.0 had the bonnet bulge pushed out fogs twisty heater controles and 5 stud.(dont quote me tho) but like bc says, the emission things quite handy

2.0 16v purely because you get the late spec car that looks so much better than the early one. Everyone converts the early ones to late spec anyway. Looks alot more modern aswell

2.0 16v purely because you get the late spec car that looks so much better than the early one. Everyone converts the early ones to late spec anyway. Looks alot more modern aswell

I disagree. I prefer the earlier shape apart from the grille; that's all I've changed. The later rotary heater controls are less reliable than the earlier slide ones too.

I quite like the early exterior but you just can't say that the early interior is better.. the switch gear in the later models is so much better!

I quite like the early exterior but you just can't say that the early interior is better.. the switch gear in the later models is so much better!

Yes I can. The rotary controls may be easy to fix but I'd rather not have to bother!

Aint it funny how we say it's better because it's easier to fix (bloody rados!) :lol: :lol:

Happy Bday btw bcstudent :)

Well, I'm biased and I say 1.8 :)

i loved both my 1.8 valvers great cars.. personally i prefer the earlier interior.. having lived with both it's by far the more reliable :lol:

I was talking purely from looks alone. The position of the electric window switches alone make it better for me!

Later interior every day of the week- early looks very dated now imho (even if the heater controls are more reliable). Prefer the later exterior too, although like BC says, the only bit that would really bother me on an early car is the grille.

Happy Birthday by the way, bcstudent! Have a good 'un.

ive got a 2 litre and it had the early interior in it ?? is that wrong

nope, its often a case of what ya got is normal :lol:

early 2l were a bit of a cross over..mine is the same

I was talking purely from looks alone. The position of the electric window switches alone make it better for me!

Yeah, the electric window switches do suck. I'll agree on that point :)

most corrado's are getting long in the tooth now so you have to buy on condition more than anything else next comes colour then whether it's at 1.8 or 2.0

by condition i mean inside ,outside and running gear

i bought on colour first then had to spend 1k on fresh paint

Rob

totally agree with carpy, in the end i'd just go for a car that looks & feels genuine. the extra 200cc imho makes hardly diddly squat difference

i also am starting to think that the earlier 1.8's are better as you don't have cats & any other such crap* & to my mind are somehow closer to the original idea 8)

Well the 2.0 16v was later exterior from the day it was released - but interior wise, expect to see up to K reg's with early style interior - think L reg and on were all the 'new' interior for definate!

The 2.0 is supposedly easier to tune if you want more power

As for the interior, K reg was the changeover year, mine was registered in march 1993 and thankfully has the late interior

Are we having this conversation again (3rd time in a month)? similar

Got to agree with may of the comments - two good cars not too dissimilar, so choose the one in best condition - which is most likely the newest, ie 2.0. And its said the 2.0 has more grunt/torque. The 2.0 is 4stud btw.

stu