Sign in to follow this  
heliosjim

Fitting front wheel bearings.

Following on from the sucess of my post about fitting rear wheel bearings, as i need to fit a N/S front wheel bearing for the MOT, I thought I would fit the pair.

Is this a job I could do at home, as before ive never fitted a front wheel bearing before and wondered if any of you have tips which could save me time, money and tears,

TIA

Afraid not... these do need to be pressed in with a proper press so you need the bearing carrier off the car and therefore it will mess up the allignment...

To save a bit of cash you could take them off and then take them to a garage to have the bearings changed...

Oh well!

Thanks for that-will the hub be the same as a mk2 16v hub?

I have a pair and can get them and bearings to the garage to fit and swap over as time allows?

disagree.

I have changed loads of front bearings from my garage. Making a bearing press is the easiest thing in the world to do.

disagree.

I have changed loads of front bearings from my garage. Making a bearing press is the easiest thing in the world to do.

Dont suppose you fancy popping round for coffee coxylad?

Just a thought. :lol:

How did you go about making one?

Is there a VAG tool for this purpose?

All I did was get some threaded bar, 3 nuts and 2 8mm thick plates of steel, stick a nut on one end, then the plate, then nip it tight with a second nut.

then poke the threaded bar through the hub and bearing slip the second plate on the other side of the hub, and the last nut goes on behind it. Then all you do is wind the nut in and it presses the bearing into the hub.

Life is a lot easier if you stick the bearing in the freezer over night though.

Just spoke to my father-in-law who fitted a wheel bearing to one of my wifes old motors some time ago and he thinks hes still got the kit he made! :roll:

Well thats one way to get an invite to sunday lunch! :lol: