Sign in to follow this  
TIMMYVR

CHARGER DIEING?

Hello everyone, thankyou all ever so much for all your help the other day with my problem. I dont know if this topic has been covered recently but i took the the charger outlet pipe off this morning and there was a thin grey/ black film oil? in the the pipe. does this mean the charger needs rebuilding again. its a stage 4 jabba with 68 mm pulley and was rebuilt about 22,000 miles ago. thanks again for all your help everyone.

Grey coloured is not very good mate.

It means that the displacer might be worned...

Try not to run the car many times before getting the charger inspected!

There will always be a slight trace of oil in the boost pipes from the breather system if you still have that recirculating into the boost return system a very small amount that will pass though the chager oil seals as the seal is not 100% and a small amount will pass though the seal.

However if you have large quanteries of oil passing though then you may have an issue with a oil seal starting to fail. This may be because the lip of the oil seal is not sealing aswellas it should due to the tension spring becoming displaced on the rear of the sealing lip or the sealing lip itself has become ineffective due to excessive wear or hardening due to heat build up over a period of time.

At 20,000 miles on a smaller charger pulley with 'entusiastic'driving it may be time to get the unit fulley overhauled or at least inspected and at least the small timing belt and oil seals changed if the bearings are in good condition.

At 20,000 miles on a smaller charger pulley with 'entusiastic'driving it may be time to get the unit fulley overhauled or at least inspected and at least the small timing belt and oil seals changed if the bearings are in good condition.

definately,,, mine didnt look too good after around 20k

thats brilliant everyone ive got to get a new outlet pipe as well so ill get the charger inspected. thankyou

My Jabba charger went at 23K - this is what it looked like inside.

It let go on the motorway at about 70mph - normal steady driving - oil up to temp etc. It looked like an F1 car letting go from behind due to the oil being drawn into the motor. BIG cloud of white smoke.

rebuilt my jabba one after it had done about 28k,, didnt look too bad insiide but rebuilt it as the secondary shaft bearings were getting really noisy which is never good!!

got some nice new rs spec bearings in there now