Sign in to follow this  
big_chris1981

stripping and refitting a dashboard

im off to look at a VR on tuesday with a car kit drilled into the dash...

just wondering how much of a pain it is to strip the old one out and put a new one in?

It's a bit fiddly mate, but not too bad if you know where all the screws are etc.

The one that usually catches people out is one that you need to undo from the scuttle panel.

not very difficult to do, just very fiddley, while your doing it you may aswell do the heater matrix, and bowden cables. last thing you want is to fit your new dash then the heater matrix blows, and you have to do it all over again, just a thought,, :wink:

you can get dash repair kits now that fill screw holes, much easier than changing the whole bloody thing!!

sounds well worth looking into 8)

otherwise,

1 bolt either end,2 nuts in the scuttle area,and one self tapper behind the clocks.

its a case of strip the dash,and disconnect the switches etc,and remove the above. :)

neil.

its got a knakerd imobilliser that needs stripping out from behind there too....

might get the alarm bloke to gimmer a hand stripping and refitting it...as im pretty sure he will need to just to get at the imobiliser....

is it possible to buy new heater control cabnles, as im pretty certain one of mine is kinked, as usual, cheers

oops,add to my above post a 10mm nut thats down behind the bottom storage tray.

neil.

its soo easy if you ensure you keep things basic and label everything has you go along to make sure you know where it goes when refitting...

also get someone with skinny hands to do the nuts in the scuttle i remember slicing my fingers bigtime doing that one...

worst part for me was that scuttle nuts and glovebox gets a bit fiddly if it wants to the rest is simple enough.

ALSO TOP TIP--- re sponge the cabling and tape it down as much as you can, stop future rattles developing- well worth doing