Sign in to follow this  
Rado__Tom

1.8 16v Distributor

There was oil all over the engine bay so i jet washed it off to see where it was coming from. Its now clear its coming from the dizzy cap. The car runs fine but theres a lot of oil leaking out ive done a search about this and it apears theres two solutions replace dizzy or the dizzy seal? any1 know what one i need to do?

Is the distributor hard to get off? was thinking of getting one from a scrappy

cheers

tom

With regards to getting the dizzy off, make sure you mark it where you take it off! As it's essensial for the timing of the car.

I know there is a seal on the left of the dizzy that usually cracks too...

Oh and the dizzy itself is rather easy to take off...

ok cheers, ill order one 2morrow.

can any1 give me a very brief what you have to do to get it off? just to give me an idea so i know if i should tackle it myself. Obviously you unclip the cap thats about all i know!!

Well start by taking to 2 long silver clips off (Which connects the cap to the dizzy) and pull off the cap , this just gets the cap outta the way. And then take out all the leads from the cap (Make sure you know where they go!)

TAKE NOTE OF THIS: MARK WHERE YOU ARE TAKING IT OFF! (UNless you got timing gun of course)

Then unbolt the bolts on the inside of the dissy holders and put them somewhere safe. After taking these bolts off the dissy should come out easily, and unclip the lead that goes into it. Took me aages to find out how to do it but what you need to do it take out the silver arc shaped thing in there and then it should unclip.

To put it back on is basically just reversing what you did. (Halfords way of explaining!)

But make sure you get timing right.

push clip in on dizzy cap and spring clip off top repeat on bottom. mark where dizzy is positioned (you could use permanent marker or tipex) , unplug sensor undo the two 10mm (i think) bolts. put new one on lining up marks and its pretty much the reverse.

btw i have my old spare dizzy in the for sale /swap.