Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Changing Cam On G60

Bonjour

How much work is involved in changing the cam on a G60? At first it sounds like a big job but thinking about it ( with my lack of mechanical knowledge :roll: ) it might be a case of just removing the cam cover , swapping the cam , resetting the timing?

Is it a pretty simple thing to do ? i.e will it take much time for a skilled mechanic ( i.e not me :lol: )

To be honest mate I'd get RK to do it as there is no real stripping down to do to get to it... one hours labour...

It's an easy job but there are certain things that need to be considered and if you were to get it wrong could cost alot to rectify!

I'd also consider changing the tappets, cam cover gasket and maybe cambelt too.

Yeah, I wouldn't do it myself dude :lol: - It's for the guy that's bought my car, he asked me how much work was involved and at first I thought it'd be alot but then I thought about and realised that it's probebly pretty simple for someone that knows what they're doing as it's at the top of the engine so no need to get the head off or anything :lol: - if that makes sense :oops: :lol:

RK are having it in to fit a new G-werks exhaust, RS Outlet, and Mocal so he's thinking of putting a cam in at the same time. Should be a beast :twisted:

Cheers

DODDLE to do... setting up the timing properly afterwards is the bit that needs skill... ;)

DODDLE to do... setting up the timing properly afterwards is the bit that needs skill... ;)

Definitely. I watched Darren do mine. Fitting took half an hour, setting up took about an hour of fitting the wideband and adjusting the timing and then taking it out for a spin. (That was an SNS chip fit too)

Definitely. I watched Darren do mine. Fitting took half an hour, setting up took about an hour of fitting the wideband and adjusting the timing and then taking it out for a spin. (That was an SNS chip fit too)

When I changed my chip it took me about an hour just get the ECU back in the scuttle panel!!!

just get the ECU back in the scuttle panel!!!

Which is why I decided to chuck out that horrible metal-tray-thing, that the ECU is attached to, when located in the scuttle panel. The ECU is kept nicely in place by the horrendously thick and stiff ECU-loom anyway.

Tempest