Sign in to follow this  
Azz turbo

Short shift gear set up

Hi all i am after a short shift gear kit for my Vr6, but i have heard there is a few different ones to get and some are not as good as others. Can anyone help and tell me which one is best and where i can get it from for the best price. Cheers All :D

ive heard the b and m ones are pretty good, they are about 140.00 if i remember correctly, try to get one from inters next weekend if ya going?

your std gearstick can be converted and I've done many already. I can do you one for £50

how does it work, how long, and when could i get this done and does it have the same effect as a kit would.

all short shifts work the same way by changing the pivot point of the lever so for less movement above the pivot point, you get more below. when you ask would it work the same as a kit, well personally, i feel you're better off with std oem equipment, modified as opposed to "a kit"

additionally, i can vary the length of shortness, or should that be shortness of shortness? :)

How long? time wise, if you can send me your gearstick, I'll post one back the same day, so in theory, 2 day turnaround - depending on the royal mail,of course. Chilly was, nosky is, and i am running quickshifts I make and they have been utterly reliable and trouble free for years now

see I thought you could do this.

Short-shift was mentioned before and everyone said you had to buy a kit, but I remember a guy doing exchanges on the yahoo group for modified OEM units.

everyone raved about them, and said they were a brilliant mod.

veedubs used to do them up here but they often failed due to the method they used - i modify the original equipment and it retains all, if not more strength of the original and is obviously all oem fitment etc and causes no issues - ever

['H3R4POR]see I thought you could do this.

Short-shift was mentioned before and everyone said you had to buy a kit, but I remember a guy doing exchanges on the yahoo group for modified OEM units.

everyone raved about them, and said they were a brilliant mod.

...do you want one then?? ...and yes, they are - std gearstick is like mixing in a nbig bowl with a wooden spoon, by comparision - its the first thing i've done to every corrado i've had as i hate the std gearstick range of movement

I keep saying that i need to do mine again, the one i had in the VR i sold Chrishill went to the Corrado carpark in the sky so the one i'm using now is the wooden spoon in porage stick, they can even be srpayed pink for people like Dinkus if needed! :lol:

...and Kev, stop being a naughty boy, you know yours is free!

Chris

......just so people know whats involved, which is quite a lot.......

the whole assy has to be removed and the gearstick assembly disassembled - the bloody spring washers are a bloody nightmare and normally take three hands!!!

the bracket has to be cut precisely to change the position of the pivot pin. some mods just drill out the pivot pin and fix it in a different position but this method invariably fails. i've never had any failures with this alternative method.

the bracket then has to be refabricated/welded to change the position of the pivot pin - the cutting is quite precise as all parts are re-used and excess material removal will goose the whole mod.

the amount that this changes by has to be measured very precisely as you have to make corresponding changes to the plastic sleeve for the reverse gate and the gearstick shaft itself

too much change will result in too short a throw and gear-crunching, or, the underside of the assembly will catch/fowl/grate if dropped too far down

the plastic sleeve has to be cut precisely and the respective lengths above and below the pivot point changed to reflect the alteration of the bracket that has been modified.

the gearstick has to be machined, again for the reverse gate, to allow the gearknob to be pushed down to engage reverse, to the dimension corresponding to the bracket modification.

...and then re-assembled.

tools required.

decent welder - mines £500+

Luxury item - lcd welding mask £200 :)

Gas account for argon gas for MIG

MIG wire - £30

compressor to drive high torque air cutting tools, again £500+

high rpm air cutter - £40+

very fine cutting blades - £10 a pack

- if too much material is removed when cutting, the refabrication is difficult if too much metal has been removed. a hack saw is not an option as some are "blind cuts" and drilling out a starting hole would reduce the integral strength of the gearstick bracket

milling tool £?????? (or a mate with a workshop)

or

a good bench grinder and nice flat stone £50+

good set of files £30

Additional

decent hand-to-eye co-ordination, good welding and general engineering skills

ability to redesign the linkage system to produce a modification that does not fail and interfaces perfectly with the oem equipment and works better than standard .

If thats not worth £50 - ............ i don't bother doing it, to be polite about it.

Just to throw my 2p in, I have a B&M on my Golf VR6 and it was an absolute pig to get it to work right - it had a habit of popping out of 1st & 3rd (normally at 4000rpm+). Changes to 2nd didn't always engage either.

I lost count of the hours I spent with a Dremmel "adjusting" the thing.

Worked great in the end, but never again.

H8RRA seems to have the right attitude to this mod, keep it OEM+ :)

H8RRA seems to have the right attitude to this mod, keep it OEM+ :)

:) h8rra quiskshift - says exactly what it does on the tin, changes gear, no dremmel required :)

...or to plagiarise a well-known board member - an OSV mod ;)

I'd defo be interested in one of your exchange shifters.....but not for a few months probably :oops:

...do you want one then??

yes mate, I would do, I'm just gonna struggle with getting you mine to mod, as I can't be without the car :(

well all the guys who had done it on the Yahoo group said it was the best thing since sliced bread

Hope so cause I've tried a couple of 'home made' SSs and they were notchy and horrid, but whether the car was to begin with or not I don't know. My shift is exceptionally good and I don't want to ruin it.

From my research a while back the Neuspeed one was highly regarded for having an OE shift quality, but 30-40% shorter throw...fore and aft. But it's $499! it's a complete new shifter though, not a hacked gearstick.

66.10.55.jpg

Here's an idea - I still have the original shift off my Golf. I'd be happy to donate it to H8RRA so that he's got an exchange unit for those that can't do without their car.

I'm sure I've missed a reason why this won't work, but I can't think of it :)

if that would work thats very sporting of you old boy :)