Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Newby Query - G60 blocked intercooler outlet?

Still a bit of a Corrado virgin and need some advice.

I bought a 1991 G60 a few weeks ago and I am working my way through the list of jobs to do. It was MOT'd just before I picked it up and I had it serviced at C&R Enterprises last Monday.

One of the problems they mentioned is that my intercooler outlet is blocked with road debris and they told me that it needs an inner arch mesh screen. The only problem is that they didn't say what size mesh I would need, ie. does it need to be very fine, like an air filter or can I use larger S/S meshing like for a grill?

Is this still something I can get off the shelf and fit myself?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:?

Bit of an odd one this...

On the early shape G60s there was a brake duct which fed cold air both onto the brakes (hence the name!) and also onto the intercooler. There was then a hole in the plastic wing liner which allowed the air to exit the cooler into the wheel arch. On the later G60s this brake duct and exit duct were deleted, so they didn't have as good an air flow to the intercooler.... Why this was done, no-one knows, it just was... :roll:

Anyway, it sounds, from what you've written, like the exit hole in the plastic wheel arch has become caked with road crud and needs a good cleaning off.

Personally, I'd not bother with a mesh, as the mesh will just get caked up instead of the back of the intercooler and have exactly the same effect of stopping air flow though the intercooler. What I'd do is to take off the passenger front wheel and clean the exit hole with a hose on a reasonable pressure to blast the crud out... Normally, I'd advise cleaning the intercooler externally at least once every 2 years to ensure this doesn't happen again... 8)