Sign in to follow this  
TomD

Weitec Fully Adjustable Coilover Q's!

Hi All!

My Corrado has Weitec fully adjustable coilies fitted to it. I'm not too worried with adjust ing the height for the time being, but wanted to ask about the damping....

I've got the key to turn the hexagonal part on the top of the struts, but...

1) Which way is softer and which way is harder?

2) Is there a set number of turns they are to supposed to go from stiffest to softest? (From the brief play I've had with them almost seams like the go round and round)

3) Is there anything else I need to do apart from twist them, looks almost as if there's a grub screw on the hex bit (small hole on one of the faces)

Had a quick play with them but didn't want to cause any damage by fiddling with them without knowing what I'm doing!

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom :)

You have the adjuster design Weitec introduced before they were bought out by KW so they are at least five years old. These work differently to anything else you will ever have experienced. Adjusting them is easiest using a 7-mm ring spanner as what you are feeling for is a slight rubbery squeaky feeling through the spanner at minimum, which is anticlockwise, as the internal spring loaded clutch slips at the end of the valves adjustment. When you feel the clutch slip, keep turning the spanner until you have a visual reference to look down on and turning back from there, the maximum damping should be nine full turns at which point you will get the same clutch slip feeling again but maybe a little more distinctly. You can’t break them, that was the whole idea of the clutch as before they had a solid stop point. The only trouble was, as they work the opposite way around to a Koni, people often snapped the internals off by forcing the key.

Legend!

Nice one, thats great! I have a receipt for them being fitted new two years ago (Nov 04) From expert tecnic....is it likely they were on the shelf that long (thinking not!!!) :?:

Weitec still operate using there name,as do kw,you say you have a key to change the settings on top of the struts,has it got anything like a + or - on it at all?

Weitec still operate using there name,as do kw,you say you have a key to change the settings on top of the struts,has it got anything like a + or - on it at all?

No such luck I'm afraid! :)

Just to check..... Anticlockwise is softer....clockwise is harder?? :)

That was one of the things that really annoyed me about the black keys and the later orange wing nut style; they had no indication on for anti clock soft, clockwise hard. There was a diagram in the instructions that said anti clock (pictorially) was Komfort and clockwise (again pictorially) was Sportlich. I used to get people asking which one was hard and which was soft.

That was one of the things that really annoyed me about the black keys and the later orange wing nut style; they had no indication on for anti clock soft, clockwise hard. There was a diagram in the instructions that said anti clock (pictorially) was Komfort and clockwise (again pictorially) was Sportlich. I used to get people asking which one was hard and which was soft.

I have the later orange wing nut key!

Thanks very much for your help, your exlanation was spot on!! :)