Sign in to follow this  
jinx

New Brake Pipes

I am going to replace all the brake pipes on my G60.....do any of you know how much pipe will be required for this and whether the male and female pipe ends requires are metric or imperial. I assume being German that they are Metric but thought i'd better check before i buy them. Car has no ABS by the way.

Cheers...... :)

Doing mine at the moment as well. + I'm putting mk4 calipers on the rear & 288mm setup on the front. I've allowed myself today (not achieved much) tomorrow and saturday...

No idea what i'm doing really so any input would be great, i've done searches but not really come up with anything useful.

First major problem, one of my wheel nuts is on ridiculously tight and I can't get it off! Also loads of the hose to pipe fittings are rusted right up and proving to be a nightmare to get off.

Ah well, i'll report back tomorrow after i've got the pipes all off.

using a proper brake pipe spanner realy makes life easier,they are all pretty easy to change,except for 1 on the brake compensator,which is about 2 inches long

Well i've managed to remove all the pipes from the engine bay back to the calipers. All the hoses off as well. Some of it was a real nightmare, had to take the exhaust heatshield off to get one of the pipes out.. :x

Anyway, i'm having new ones made up hopefully by tomorrow so I can whack them on.

Biggest problem i've had is trying to remove the rear caliper carriers, they have a hex bolt and all 4 (both sides) are not budging an inch. So it's looking like i'm going to have to refit the old brakes and drive it over to the garage so they can have a go...

Haven't even looked at the front ones yet... :(

Same happened to mine as well trigger.

Renshaw managed to get them off although i'm not sure what he used - added with a lot of brute force :bad-words:

Obviously it needed new hex bolts afterwards

It's really annoying that the stupid carriers are stopping me from doing the rest of the job :(

Jay, fancy coming down and sorting them out? ;)

Are they any use for this allen bolt on the rear carrier though?

Managed to fit the front 288s this afternoon, all went on quite easily apart from I had a brake pipe casualty on the nearside. Not a problem though as I took it and all the old rear pipes to the garage and I now have a complete set of copper pipes made up ready to go on tomorrow!

The caliper carrier bolts on the front came off quite easily, god knows why they put the allen bolts on the back...

Do you mean these?

I think the allen bolt on the rear carrier is round anyway so surely they wont be any use?

I took my carriers off the other week to do the discs - all of them were badly seized, managed to get 3 off using lots of heat, a breaker bar and long length of pipe. 4th one rounded off but an angle grinder soon sorted it, they are a complete nightmare. Good luck!

I just can't believe that a bolt which requires so much force is a frickin hex key?!

Un...believable.

Need to change my rear calipers too, and this thread is totally putting me off! Trig, when you've sussed yours, fancy doing mine? :wink:

it`s not a big problem tbh, you just need the right tool......... those irwin grippers are great at their job but you can also use a small pair of 6" stillsons with the same effect !!

Get this.

Had another go today at the rear carriers and actually snapped my hex key! Halfords professional tool snapped! (Lucky I get a free replacement!).

In addition to my last post - me and Jay actually snapped a vice (virtually in half!!!) trying to get some movement out of the seized pistons in the rear calipers.

In 25 years I have never seen a vice break like it.

Thise rear brakes really are a f**ker aren't they!!

They are a complete and utter joke, I'm letting the garage sort it out...

Update:

Would have finished the brakes yesterday but unfortunately the some of the pipes I had made up have the wrong connectors on them. The old ones have a non-tapered section on them at the start which is about 5mm long. The new ones i've been given are tapered right from the start and so don't screw in as far.

The fully tapered fittings are fine for connection to hoses but when the pipes connect to the little box thing at the rear they are not not screwing in far enough... :x

Garage is closed for the weekend so i'm going to have to get them to sort it out on Monday and then i'll get back on it on Tuesday and hopefully finish up... Car is booked in the bodyshop on Wednesday so it needs to be done!!

Yup i've got the complete goodridge hose set going on as well :)

Also fitted new handbrake cables.