Sign in to follow this  
CorradoDriver

Car battery effecting ABS

i changed the battery on my VR6 2 days ago and when i drove it the ABS and brake light was on and the brake pedal was very stiff and wasnt working. By me changing the battery have any affect on the abs system ultimately causing the brake pedal to stiffin up and not funtion properly??

Not unless you broke something whilst removing/fitting the two batteries..

The ABS would register the loss of power, but that would not be a permanent fault, only a temporary one.

for a day i had no battery in the car. i drove it without a battery and this problem came up, i jumped it from the terminals maybe i should get a brand new battery instead of the old on i put in

Yowser, for the sake of £30 for a cheap battery put one in rather than risk frying all the electrics jumping it and running it without one!

I can't believe what you are saying here, you really ran the car sans battery? It’s a joke right? One of the first things you are taught in mechanic classes is NEVER run a car without the battery.

it was for like 10 min. I replaced a hose in the car and there was no battery because i was selling another that needed a battery, so i jumped it and drove it down the street not even a mile to see if the hose was leaking. I came home and i didnt have a new battery handy so i put an old one for the time being. Dont worry im not driving the car with no battery lol, im not that stupid, but do you think that the weak battery has somthing to do with the abs??

Thanks for you help and concern

The battery is the voltage regulator for the car, effectively. You run risk of frying all kinds of stuff with voltage spikes, or voltage drops. No wonder the ABS light was on, it was probably screaming about voltage issues.

Get your battery charged up if you think it's iffy (stick a voltmeter on it - if it's showing more than 12.0 V it should be fine), and get the ECU scanned to see what's up with the electronics.

Also - where are you? If your C is left hand drive, the ABS pump provides brake assistance, which might explain why your brake pedal is so heavy now. RHD cars use vacuum from the engine to assist.

Thanks everyone for your help, i went out and bought a new battery and the problem immediately went away but i still plan on bleeding the brakes and clutch this weekend. Thanks again

I note the appearance of the US flag ... I suppose that answers my question, and therefore I answered your question.

At least it looks like there's no long term damage.