Sign in to follow this  
rgn

Ignitin Timing 20 16v 9A engine

Hi, Can anyone please advise me on the correct proceedure (which leads/pipes need removing and at what rpm is the timing checed), new to the 9a engine, but very experienced. Many Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forum!

6 deg BTDC. Everything connected. Be careful that you get the correct timing mark on the flywheel. TDC is marked by a groove in line with crank. 6 deg BTDC is small retangular lug.

Thanks for the info and the welcome Phil.

Is the 6 deg BTDC at idle or at 2500 rpm as with a digifant?

I'll have to double check and post it here, I think it is at idle. I always get mixed up because I used to have a digifant 8v Golf.

What spec is your car then? Is it standard?

Thanks Phill, I presume I should get a Passat 20 16v manual as that used the same engine i believe. I ask because the digifant needed the temp sender disconected and the rocker cover breather disconected and pluged etc.

The car is a Flash Red December 1995 2.0 16v. Just bought it for my son to replace his MK2 GTi. It seems to be timed wrong very retared, and mpg is about 28, which seams poor compaired to a golf.

It's standard except for 17" rims. We will be lowering it a and adding some rear crystal lights. We want to keep it fairly standard as these cars are clasics

I had a look last night and you set the ignition timing at idle with everything connected, so nice and simple.

Yes I remember having to disconnect the blue temp sender on my Golf and timing it at 2500rpm.

For a Haynes manual you do need the Passat one, it has the 9A with Ke-Motronic. There is also a Volkswagen site in Russia where you can download manuals, can't find it at the moment but if I do I'll post it here.

Sounds like a nice late car. My long term avereage (MFA set to 2) is around 29MPG, so it may not be that far out. On a run if I try and can get an indicated consumption for around 35-40MPG.

Thanks once again Phil. I will check it at the weekend, wilalso check the value timing as I'm thinking if that is a tooth out it will have also timing on a 16V.

The timing on a 9A must be set with the ECU placed in Basic Adjustment mode 04, display group 000 observing the 9th display field where a 5 must be displayed. This stabilisers the ignition timing and idle speed, disables the EVAP system and allows adjustment of the ignition timing and CO.

The timing on a 9A must be set with the ECU placed in Basic Adjustment mode 04, display group 000 observing the 9th display field where a 5 must be displayed. This stabilisers the ignition timing and idle speed, disables the EVAP system and allows adjustment of the ignition timing and CO.

and how is this done? :-)

:lol: Sounds like something out of Starwars! Well, mine set as per my instructions and the manual, I've played with different settings and it is best at 6 deg BTDC as described. It was set like that when it made 162bhp on the rollers, so there can't be much wrong with that.

What equipment are you using to do all this?

Sounds like something out of the VW workshop manual, which it is. I use VAG-COM to do this but many other diagnostic systems will do the same.

Crasher, I have the shareware (UNREGISTERED) version of VAG-COM do you know if this version will let me put the engine in Basic Adjustment mode?, or have you got the full version?, It makes sense that you don't want the ECU adjusting things that you are trying to set! Thanks for the info.

Crasher, Is your a 2 x 2 plug or the serial connection for the OBD?

I've got everything for OBDII for my Leon which is now sold, and have been trying to get it working on the Corrado, but I'm not getting very far with it.

I have a serial and a hex usb. I bought the 2x2 adapter when I bought my first VAG-COM cable about five years ago and I still use it with the USB cable.

I've got a 2x2 adapter an opto isolated interface and a USB adapter for use with my laptop, cannot get anything meaningful out of mine. It tries i.e. you can get it checking the ABS, but it comes back with too many faults. I'm using Vag-Com 311-2.