Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

CENTRAL LOCKING

Does anyone know if central locking can be expensive to fix, my pump still works as i can hear it working but it doesnt open the doors, the car is alarmed with full closure but due to the central locking packing up i just took out the pump. i now have to dearm it and manually open which aint the end of the world, but when it needs petrol i have to open the boot and release the fuel cap from behind the carpet trim in the boot, any ideas!!!???

There's a plastic pipe that comes off the pump and runs around the car to all of the locks. This passes the pressure/vaccuum to the actuators at the locks to lock or unlock them. If there's a leak in this pipe (or any of the actuators) the pressure/vaccuum won't be enough to make the actuators work. Check for leaks around the actuators and door/boot hinges as these are common weak points. IIRC there's also a connector under the passenger side of the dash which can leak 'cos that's where my G60 had sprung a leak when I got her...

Did the central locking still lock the car before you took out the pump? If it still worked one way but not the other, it means that it's less likely that your pump is dead, which is the other possibility as to why it doesn't work...

There's another thread here somewhere about using a pump out of a different car that's slightly bigger and can be bought second hand.... Try doing a search for "pump" and see if you can find it... :D

Good luck!

Joe, have a suck on the pipe that you took off the pump. If you can keep sucking and don't go blue then there is a leak somewhere. If you clamp off the pipes as they go into each door and suck again. When you start going lue you have found the culprit pipe.

You can probably use a pump out of a Passat of the same vintage as your C, if it turns out to be the pump.

Gavin