Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

rod bearings, which ones and yadda G60

so Im thinking of replacing the rod bearings and replacing the bolts with ARP bolts,

which rod bearings do I buy, ones with squirters or ones without?

also if I wanted to do crank bearings how much harder would it be? also which ones of those do I need?

I never paid much attention to rod bearings but now I feel as if I should replace mine before I try to rebolt up this supercharger for some summer fun.

they make a little jingle right now, very faint but still there.

any help would be cool =-).

oh and how the heck do I take those 2 bolts on the oil sump out when they are set back so far into the genera flywheel area??

take off the small metal plate on the lower gear box engine side 2 or 4 10mm bolts to get to the 2 bolts that are set back

all rod bearing i have ever changed on any engine have all had holes for oil if this is what you mean by squirters

have you got the lump out of the car or are you doing it in place?

a long 5mm allen key with a ball end. Mines about 25cm long and i wouldn't want one any shorter. They're a right pisser to get out (and worse to get back in!).

do the crank ones need doing.

rod ones are easy. remove the sump and oil pump for easy access.

if you want to fit bolts ideally you need the end of the rod resizing. you can usr arp bolts for a ford 289/302 non boss. factory rods are rifle drilled and so the shells have holes.

for the crank its best to remove it. remember to get the 4 piece thrust as there are 2 piece in the US. otherwise the crank will walk.

I see what you are saying about the crank bearings, flywheel attached and all,

how do I know if the crank bearings need doing?

I have replacing everything in the engine and I still get this wirring sound, intermittent and wierd when it does come around.

was gonna do the crank for giggles, perhaps I should do this if I need to replace a transmission....

I only use KS bearings with Sputter coating. VW don't list them anymore. They don't have piston pin lubrication holes as G60's don't use drilled rods.

got a part no for those bearings or where you ordered from. my new rods are not drilled and id like ones without holes.

use the MKIII golf diseasle bearings... They're a good upgrade for the G60 ones... Darren knows the part numbers for 'em... ;) 8)

also I was told not to use 1 piece thrust bearings.... anyone know where I can get 3 piece thrust bearings? or 4 piece ones?

not sure any of us are on your side of the water. its difficult for us to say where you need to go but the stealer aint too bad on the thrusts. i got my mains and rods from ecp or gsf. they seem ok.