Sign in to follow this  
RACK

Oil Coolers Rule

After 4 weeks in the bodyshop at JBS, thanks to a lot of rot I didn't know about, I've got my G60 back. While it was up there I had an Oil Cooler kit fitted! OMG :D :D The drop in oil temp in amazing! On the way up there on the motorway the temp stayed around 104c. On the way back it never went above 96c! Anyone who has a G60 go and get a kit fitted asap!!

How much did your kit cost .. and where did you get it from??

where did you mount it mate??

I've been looking to get an oil cooler for a while 8)

I ve got a mocal oil cooler fitted and lower temp thermoswitch and thermostat to my beast before temps were hitting as high as the mids 120's on a hard drive now the oil temp goes no higher than 96 on a hard drive and usually sits at around 92-94 degrees I ve got mine mounted just below the supercharger at the moment but as soon as I fit the FMIC I will be putting it where the standard intercooler is at the moment

Ye, oil coolers keep G60's a lot happier. We fit them suspended from the slam panel, positioned in front of the charger behind the grill. Nice to be able to thrash the car and still see sub 100'c oil tempretures.

I can still get my oil into the 120s on a trackday. As soon as you back off the temp comes down a couple of degrees every few hundreds yards. Only takes a mile or so of cruising to get down below 100.

Well spent £100.

Previously I had 145 around Castle Combe, scary!!

Gavin

ruffy; I got my kit from TSR for about £140, but you can get them a little cheaper, although the hoses weren't braided, but the braiding only cost me another £10 from a local Hydraulic fitters.

It's been fitted to the front cross member, in front of the radiator on the passenger side. Only time you can see it, is if you kneel down and look through the bottom grill in the bumper.

I can't give any tips on fitting it, cos I cheated :oops: and got JBS to do it for me, but they did a top job :D

I've also got a lower temp thermostat to go in too. I got that from Awesome GTi it was only about £15 I think.

I'm not sure if Darren (8VG60) does a kit or not, but try giving him a ring.

16Vg60 fitted a Mocal oil cooler for me at the same time as servicing my supercharger. Cracking job and now the car sit at 102 oC on a long run. John did a very tidy and professional job on both parts. I believe that the cooler costy £130 ish and about 2.5 - 3 hours labour.

Oil Cooler systems, a must for any forced induction engine or indeed any engine aspiring to higher performance use. I have been supplying / fitting tailor made kits for G60 and VR6 engines for some time now, and its good to hear Bannana Man's reccomendations for the one i fitted into his G60. I can supply these kits to suit one of two locations either below the charger or in the space once occupied by the oe intercooler, a third option is to have custom fit ie GTI G60 Golf etc. The cost of these kits is £135 plus p&p, and comes with stainless braided hoses, cooler matrix, stat sandwich plate and drilled mounting plate. I can offer fitting services or if you wish DIY install reccomendations. The oil cooler in itself will help to dramatically reduce engine temps but can be further complimented by fitting reduced temp fan switch and thermostat. As a cooling package this is highly recomended for standard or modified cars for removing the heat stresses from these engines.

I wouldn't use braided hoses, they act like sand paper, grinding down anything they're clipped to. Stick to the regular rubber hoses, the extra cost of the stainless braiding isn't worth it.

When sliding the hoses over the unions, heat the rubber hose first, makes life a LOT easier and do not use jubilee clips to secure, they'll cut the rubber.

Once the hose is on the barbed unions, it won't come off again, so make sure you get the lengths right!

Kev

I'm making my oil cooler system from scratch using nomex covered hose with reusable AN-10 fittings, and a turbo volvo sandwich plate (thermostatic control of course) and volvo oil cooler. Should end up cheaper than an off the shelf kit and MUCH beefier :D

The only tricky bit is I'm having a run of different length oil filter housing pipe studs made up, because the volvo sandwich plate is a bit shorter and the retaining nut is recessed, compared to the pathetic stock oil/water heat exchanger. I'll take pics....

Skye

You don't get any beefier than Mocal my friend. You could drive over the damn thing and it will keep it's shape :lol:

No tricky bits involved with the mocal. Plug and play, off you go :lol:

Kev