Sign in to follow this  
Storm_VR6

Fuel Pump!

I’m sure most of us find it difficult to motivate ourselves on a Monday morning, the thought of another full week of work is so disheartening…….dam weekends are too short!!!

Anyways, to put a smile on my face, I thought I’d take My C to work instead of my usual boring diesel car…..happily driving down the motorway listening to my newly fitted sound system (them front door pods are crap, even with 5.25” infinity kappa components) and all of a sudden car starts to judder then loose power, I looked at the fuel gauge, half a tank…….pulled onto the hard shoulder, car cut out….tried to start her up, turned but wouldn’t fire……exactly the same symptoms as when you run out of fuel, not that I ever have!

Fuel pump packed in…….had the car transported to a friends garage and went searching for a fuel pump……First I thought I’d take the cheaper option and went to Eurocarparts and bought one for £102…took it back to the garage, totally wrong part…..was well annoyed….so I went directly to the stealers, was in luck they had one in stock £133…..I later found out that the one from eurocarparts could be fitted but you would also need to buy a new sender unit…..too much hassle!!!

Anyways, my question is, why do fuel pumps just pack up all of a sudden, I know that this was a common fault on Golfs and Scirocco’s but what causes it ?? I don’t want it to happen again so anything I can do to ensure its lifespan?

My advice – Always try and buy genuine parts, saves money and time in the long run….the eurocarparts bosch pump was significantly inferior in quality compared to the genuine one…..has anyone else changed the fuel pump with a patterned one ?

They seem to go quickly on VR's for some reason...

Age / use will be the main one but running the fuel tank low will cause it to fail quicker as the pump will be working harder to lift the fuel and also the fuel disipates heat and noise from an in tank pump.

they do seem to pack up, there is a revised pump now from the dealer

Not sure if it's just me but It seems as if the car has become more responsive with the change of the fuel pump....it also has improved it on idle..seems to be running a lot more smoother. Could a change in fuel pum have this effect ?

Just glad my C is back on the road and after reading some of the problems that other Rado owners have had with fuel pumps I think I was quite lucky with having my car back on the road on the same day....

Brokedown - 8:45 am, was driving around by 4:30 pm...good going!

Not sure if it's just me but It seems as if the car has become more responsive with the change of the fuel pump....it also has improved it on idle..seems to be running a lot more smoother. Could a change in fuel pum have this effect ?

Just glad my C is back on the road and after reading some of the problems that other Rado owners have had with fuel pumps I think I was quite lucky with having my car back on the road on the same day....

Brokedown - 8:45 am, was driving around by 4:30 pm...good going!

It could well do if the pump was struggling to maintain full pressure before.

Dinkus - I think it must of been struggling as the power delivery seems to be a lot better now......

G60SC_Stoney - Hope you get your car fixed mate, I know how it feels to be without......

Golf pumps are 3 bar, Corrado ones are 4.

Pumps have electric motors in them. Electric motors fail, and that is why your pump failed ;-)

Uprated pumps by Walbro or Sytec aren't made to a cost like OE ones are and last a lot longer.

About £90 for a Sytec one.

Yeah I've got one in my car, but the extra flow is needed for the Supercharger.

I noticed that the standard pumps seem to run pretty hot, which indicates they're under a fair bit of load, even with a brand new filter.

The Sytec is always cold.

The standard pump just seems to deliver a certain pressure and no more but the uprated ones are over engineered and can run at peak pressure all day long and never break into a sweat. Uprated ones are fine on standard engines btw, the engine won't over fuel.

KevHaywire - cheers for the info, worthwhile using an uprated one then….will bear that in mind for the future…..

MTC – cars looking great dude, look forward to seeing it in the flesh.