Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

car starts then stops ??Where are you OBE (RW)1?

Hi all

I thought that my problem was the ignition/transponder box behind the dash but after reading a few threads I'm not so sure.

Problem was initially intermittent but now permanent.

Car fires up and cuts out immediately - I used to get by by thumping the dash in the region of the box but now that wont work

If I get a replacement box will it just plug and play or does it have to be recoded to the key/ignition barrel?

Cheers

Dont think would do any harm to lube the transponder cable connections though.

Had similar with mine a fey years back so just lubed the connections as rw1 said and sorted took me half hour max inc shelf off and replacement too, Good luck!

Kip.

Well the relay is seated properly so unless its failed ....

KIPVW, there's two cables going to the box - a 3 pin one and a 6 pin pin one.

Which is the transponder cable?

Ive got VAG-COM - would that help or just give a nonspec fault code?

HI there,

Assuming you have the lower shelf off?

its the very shiney black one.

I removed it from the socket and dipped it into a small amount of gt85 or wd40 for a moment then very carefully pushed it back on and off to clean the contacts but be very carefull with this or breakage could be a nightmare.

Hope this at least helps!

KIP.

The 3 pin one (brown plug) is the reader coil to decoder box loom. The 6 pin one is the power feed and earth. Another lead comes out of the decoder and plugs into the OBD junction board behind the centre console and goes off up to the ECU, easy to trace.

The WD40 trick is a classic, as is the symptom you describe of it starting then cutting immediately.

Have you got VAG-COM? If you have, run a scan on the immobiliser block and it'll tell you the problem. Usually says something like "Key / Reader - out of range" or some such.

Also, run a scan on the engine block and check for "Engine start - blocked by immobiliser"

Chances are you'll just need a new reader coil, which is about £30. The key itself seldom fails.

thanks Kev - do my keys need to be recoded to a new reader coil?

Anyone got a part number for the reader coil?

thanks Kev - do my keys need to be recoded to a new reader coil?

No. Part is just straight swop.

But do try the connector WD40 trick first as there is a VW Bulletin on 1995 - 1997 cars for bad connections due to micro-corroding connection pins.

All post Oct'94 Corrados (Chassis 50SK000719 onwards) with the key immobiliser are prone to it as are other VWs 1995 - 1997.

Once WD40'd, it does last years.

Hi RW1, tried the WD40 trick but it didnt work. The reader coil doesnt work either (not sure if I needed to do an ECU reset though)

I have just acquired a (used) transponder box and am waiting for that.

Am I correct in assuming that some coding will be necessary now?

STORM 2, you tried a new ignition switch?

No - tell me more = do you mean the ignition barrel? where's the ignition switch and how much is? Cheers

The plastic switch is just behind the barrel in the back of the lock housing - worth a pop at £20 as they go wrong anyway - you can test it without actually fitting it.