Sign in to follow this  
Twiss

Power/speed, well the car lacks speed

Hello

Right heres the prob, basicly my 1.8 16v goes up though the gears fine but I found out recently that she's fine getting to 85mph in 3rd I then change into 4th and floor it but it then stuggles to get past 95mph and I mean not really go any further possible pushing it to 97mph

she's done 140,00- miles,1990 mk1 corrado

I had her serviced about 800 miles ago

in her MOT they said she was running rich

she's got a KN panel filter

Any ideas on where to start first ?

Thanks Twiss

can you hear the fuel pump whining away most of the time? could well be on its way out. a stock valver should be capable of 120ish with enough 'private' road.

Do you know when it last had new plugs/HT leads/rotor arm/dizzy cap? they're fairly cheap to change and a good starting point for valvers.

One of my Golf 16Vs did a similar thing.... it used to rocket up through the lower gears but wouldn't pull any more than 105 in the 5th.

Turns out it was a worn fuel pump not having enough guts to overcome the car's wind resistance at those speeds, hence being fine in the lower gears at lower speeds.

:iamwithstupid: Had exactly the same in my MKI Golf 16V... ;)

Same problem when i first bought a 2nd series golf 16V KR 1800,turned out to be a faulty hall sender inside the dizzy.

I found a hole well it sounds like an hole in my middle box, I only heard it really cos the girl friend had the passanger door open when the engine was running. ( have my music up loud )

Looks like the dizzy cap and rotor arm have been replaced recently (Halfords own make), Sparks was done when she was serviced and i can only hear the fuel pump when u turn her ignition on and once engine running cant hear it.

Well I replaced the dizzy cap and rotor arm and it seems alot better but don't know about her top end ?

The garage said the second silencer has a hole in it and the first silencer (from the manifold) also seems that it might not last much longer :cry:

But I still love this motor :lol:

Thanks for your help