Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

VR6 Crank and Rods

Hi

I've just got hold of a new 2.9 vr block and pistons. What I would like to know is can I get the crank fom my knackered engine reground, lightened, balanced etc to go in the new block, or do I have to get a brand new crank? I really don't have a clue how it all works in there! Will the reground crank still 'fit' with standard size pistons etc? (don't laugh)

Same with the rods?

Do I basically just need new bearings, gaskets, etc as well? I have feked around for ages trying to sort my engine so I want to make the most of having what amounts to a largely new engine. I've already got a new thermostat/housing, water pump etc. May well invest in some new sensors?

Looks like I've also just won a brand new head, so fingers crossed there may be a brand spankers new vr engine on the horizon.

Any suggestions as to what else I should do would be most appreciated. I was going to go down the charged route, but changed my mind and sold the charger. I fancy a schrick intake tbh and anything else that will increase low end torque/power. Any thoughts?

And what about new injectors, fuel pump etc? Where do you stop????

Cheers :)

I think NickVR6 had his eye on that head too, he was convinced it would be his :-)

Yes you can use your old crank and get it reground, no problemo. Might be nice to take the oppurtunity to get the whole lump fully balanced with the flywheel and clutch attached for uber smoothness.

Schricks are a waste of cash these days, imo. They used to be fab with 268s in the days before snails, but snails make better sense financially in terms of net gains, but I understand not everyone wants them.

The torque rush you get low down from the Shrek you'll get used to in a week and the pause in power delivery when you hit 4000 will bug you indefinitely. A charger will always put a grin on your face :-)

Yeah i hear what you're saying. What I really want is a 6.0 litre V8 under the bonnet for some seriously lazy power :)

So any recs for flywheel and clutch? Standard. Lightened etc?

(sorry Nickvr6 - bidsnipe rules)

Yeah I'm the same.....I want 538 litre V8 grunt, but without the weight penalty ;-) You should try a Hemi 300C mate and feel the grunt from it's V8. Lovely engine, shieete car.....mmmm, the torque :-)

Anyway, standard flywheel is OK, as is the clutch. Lightened ones will make it spin up slightly faster but good ones are expensive. You can get the standard one lightened and balanced for reasonable cash.

If you want a VR6+ engine mate, I can recommend shortening the final drive.

Try a 3.68 from a G60, it makes the VR a lot more accelerative, or a 3.94 if you want some crazy acceleration - at the expense of top speed and economy.

The gearing does make a massive difference, but it's an area often overlooked.

Yeah I have had that planned for a while mate. I reckon the 3.68 would be a good balance. Want to get a pely in there as well for some serious corner action.

Hmmnnn......I shall follow this with interest

A std lightened flywheel is a waste of time, an aly one is half the weight of even a lightened one so if you are after a result then get the propper thing, they aren't a fortune and worth it and are perfectly balanced.

If you want great torque and are going to regrind the crank then look for someone to offset-grind the journals then offset grind the gudgeon pin bearings to correct the crown placement at TDC then you will have done two good things, firstly got a long stroke crank that will give more torque and secondly raised the compression to burn the fuel faster and give a stronger combustion and more power, non of this is space technology, pretty straight forward so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding an engine machine shop to do it.

Then because you have the C/R to run cams you will get the benefit if you run a big profile.

Chris

Want to get a pely in there as well for some serious corner action.

Yep, it's in my top 5 Favourite Boys Toys list 8)

People behind you will think you're insane giving it some into a 2nd gear corner.....but you find yourself doing that a lot during the first month of 'testing' :-)

Sure, but maybe not the uber sexy Gemini gearset H8RRA has but Quaife do a nice 6 speed kit.....but you wouldn't like the price very much :-(

Good info on the crank there mate, I hope someone does try that as it will make for a nice torquey motor.

Thanks Chris :)

Any ideas on suppliers for the flywheel?

So a good machine shop that does balancing etc, is lightly to be able to do the fancy pants crank work you mention? I really fancy that as I want torque torque torque. Are they going to know what to do or will i have to provide info you reckon?

Cheers

If they carry out that proceedure then they should be able to work out the perameters if you brief them on what you are after.

Call me some time and we'll have a discussion.

Chris

dont tell me you sniped the bloack and that head from me!! I was all excited about that last night and it vanished an hr from the auction end :-(

and you didnt sell me your supercharger after i asked you, you get!

onlys jokin bud. that guy selling the head (if its the same one) said he would'nt let it go for less than £1600 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it same one from ebay last night??

im giving up on the engine now with you lurking on ebay, im just going to get a charger and blow flocker up :-) (im not bitter ;-)

Sh*t man did you want the charger? I have NO memory whatsoever fella. Sorry :(

The head disappeared an hour before the auction end? It didn't on my screen. I made a few tactical bids then sat back and let bidsniper do the work :)

I have a bad feeling though - the bloke won't reply to my emails - I reckon he's gonna back out of the sale cos it didn't go high enough.

I'm gonna sue him if he does!!! :)

spot on mate, and if you get bored ill sue him for you lol!!

yep, he was polite with me, but said he would take no less than 1600.

It was due to end at 10ish i think. i got an email at 9 to say my bids were cancelled and it had been pulled bud?? really peed my off!! id rather not bid against you, as i wouldnt want to push the price up for you and we are obviously both ebay letches!

ill pm yu my ebay details and we can confir next time ;-)

be good to hook up to mate. Gaz is 20mins from me and your not that much further :-)

oh really - it was withdrawn? bugger. i knew nothing about that. had a bad feeling all along though :(

wierd that it let me bid right up to the end. the search continues then - no real hurry as i've got to build the bottom end up.

yeah i'd be up for meeting up mate - we'll drag dog's balls out as well (Garry) :)

reckon we should confir on ebay like you say and maybe even rip some german folk off ;)

will

Yeah but the Germans also have a lot of his money after he paid for his invisible engine :shock:

:lol: