Sign in to follow this  
alan_edward

VR6 problems.

Does anyone have idea as to what could be wrong if a vr6 keeps popping reqularly if you take the foot off the gas and does very poor MPG.

The only mod it has is a ported and polished head.

This engine is in a Mk2 golf.

Many Thanks,

Alan

Well I'd say its overfuelling for some reason mate - the pops being unburnt fuel lighting in the exhaust.

As for why it's overfuelling......

ECU feked?

MAF?

Some sort of sensor not working?

Injector stuck open?

Does it smell of fuel at all?

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along shortly :)

Who and how was the engine put in? was the original loom used or was it modified to fit,you should have a EOBD port,get it pluged into vagcom to find out more.

Popping off throttle just could be the exhaust drawing air in via a small leak,the old unused fuel will be re-ignited and pop in the exhaust.

Get a VAG-COM plugged in and see if you get any error codes. Could be lambda if you're overfueling.

I might add that my exhaust pops sometimes but my car definately isn't overfueling.

Yes yes yes - well done everyone - a car can pop even when it's not overfuelling.

But the guy did say it pops regularly as if it doesn't normally. It was just a fekin suggestion!

I might just add that my blue vr has an intermittant overfuelling problem and it definately pops a lot more when its doing it.

It stalled once so far.

The idling is fine.

Is there anything as a fuel regulator?

This is what happened. The head went for a rebuild. We fitted the new timing chain and the head at the same time. and ever since, it is drinking badly. I know the fuel pump has to be changed, as it is an 8v one. But i am sure that it cannot be a problem.

It has to be something other than that.