Sign in to follow this  
corradostuff

Power Steering Leak

Has anyone had a leaking power steering fluid pipe?

There is a big metal pipe surronded by rubber hose that travels from one side of the engine compartment to the other, its at the front at the bottom and sits against the front subframe. I think it's power steering as it looks like one end goes into the power steering filler.

Seems a bit of a stupid place for this as where it bends round the subframe under the battery its constantly rubbing against the metal frame. Mine has cracked or split in this area and is now leaking.

I guess I need to replace the whole length of tube? Any ideas on fixing it or putting it in a better place so it doesn't happen again? Also does anyone know if the replacement part is just the big pipe or does it include the fixing at the drivers side where there is a thinner pipe and a few bolts etc?

Yeah, thats the cooling pipe - fairly common for them to fail after work being done and not put back properly (ie they shouldn't rest on the subframe but often do!)

I don't even want to guess at a price from VW...

Not cheap, I'm afraid. Had to get this replaced on my last VR. Bugger to fit as well :(

just refitted the pipe to the pump but the joint itself on the pump is leaking very slightly. Looks like crush washers either side of the fitting to the pump - anyone know the size of these as these will need to be replaced?