Sign in to follow this  
stoner

Bad steering wheel wobble

My 16v has a really bad side-to-side wobble on the steering wheel. It's been getting worse over the last few weeks, at low speeds 15-30mph)it's very bad, with the wheel wobbling as much as a couple of inches, but it's better at higher speeds. I don't think it's bent wheel as it's been a gradual thing, could a wheel out-of-balance cause wobble as bad as this, and at this low a speed?

Andy.

first thing you should do is get your wheels off and take a look to see if everything is as it should be,tie rods,ball joints etc..if everything looks ok,get the balancing checked and the tracking :)

Most likely to be a deformed tyre or bent wheel I'm afraid. Probably a deformed tyre if its got gradually worse.

Any tracking or other alignment problems would cause the car to pull to either side and balancing would cause a wobble at higher speeds than this.

I would get it looked at pronto, if it's a tyre going out of shape it'll go bang pretty soon.

Check that your wheel nuts are tight ASAP! I had this problem on my mothers Astra when I'd just started to drive... If there's one thing I don't want to ever happen again it's being overtaken by one of the wheels off the car you are driving! :shock:

I had a deformed tyre on an old metro (don't ask!) once, that caused a vibration on the steering rather than a wobble. I've checked the nuts are all tight so I don't think it's that either - looks like a trip to the tyre place might be in order to get it checked out properly.

Check to make sure the bolts wich hold the stearing rack are secure. There are four bolts either holding 2 bushes in u clamps round the rack on manual steering and on power steering 2 bolts go through rack, and two hold one bush round the rack.

Also check that the bolt that holds the steering column to the rack is securely in place.

Turns out it was a tyre...... I'm quite surprised cos it was a big wobble at low speed, you could even feel it at 10mph. Nothing apparent on the outside of the tyre, but a lump on the inside instead. Very happy, I was dreading it was something really expensive!