Sign in to follow this  
8yourcivic

G60 vs VR6

I've had a shot of both like the G60 over the VR suits me better less civilised in the way it delivers the power and that whistle of the 'charger when changing gear absolutely wicked cannae beat it.

PS 38mpg at steady 80-90 I can only dream

Sandy

Sandy,

I just didn't like the way it only hits about 50mph in second gear and first did only around 20 mph if i remember correctly.

The VR6 has much longer ratios for 1st(40mph) and 2nd(70mph).

The G60 is OK when on the move but so is the VR6. Also the engine note on the VR6 after 4000rpm is great!!

I've owned both, currently have VR6, and would choose a VR6 over a G60 any day. The g60 probably handles better that the VR6, lighter front end.

My other car is a Lotus Elise 111S, so I choose the Corrado for cruising and refinement.

Maybe we use the cars for different reasons?

I reckon a G60 with new gear ratios would be the best bet! But that requires money!

Peter

I think my G60 can hit 60 in 2 gear with 17"" and 215/40/17 tyres Jim fae star performance managed it on the rolling road when he was takin 0 to 60 times.

Sandy

G60 ratios are poor. if you hittin 60 in second then you are revving the balls outa that charger unless your box has been altered.

50 is about gear change point in a G60. you dont make power up there anyway.

yuo can make 10psi by 2.5k so may as well go third.

I would like to be able to hit 60 in second. 1st second and third vr gears id like. or first n second at least. try taking a vr on from a standing start. youll see what i mean. they leave you to about 70. tis all in the gearing.

Ive never been in a g60 but the impression im getting from these posts is that its not too dissimilar to driving a decent turbo diesel. :o

wouldn't the gearing change with ma C running 17's and 215/40 tyres ??

PS Think a vr would struggle to leave my G60 to 70.

Sandy

I think VW already answered this question during 1992

:wink:

Ive never been in a g60 but the impression im getting from these posts is that its not too dissimilar to driving a decent turbo diesel. :o

haha. then you've gotten the wrong impression! :lol: :lol:

yes the 1st and 2nd ratios of the G60 are too short, so is the 5th.. but the VR box was also called one of the worst VW boxes ever... said to be too long. i thought someone just said that on this forum the other day, or maybe it was another forum..

haha. then you've gotten the wrong impression! :lol: :lol:

yes the 1st and 2nd ratios of the G60 are too short, so is the 5th.. but the VR box was also called one of the worst VW boxes ever... said to be too long. i thought someone just said that on this forum the other day, or maybe it was another forum..

Was me that said it. :lol:

When I say diesel I dont mean it in a bad way, just that theres loads of low down torque but it tails off pretty quick meaning changing up the gears early. I did say decent turbo diesel, like a chipped Golf tdi or bmw 330d.

Anyway ah heard a while ago that a diesel gearbox from a golf tdi (6 gear version) of an mk3 could be a straight swap is this right anybody.

no a G60 holda power till around 5500 on a std head and cam. its more urgent than a diesel too.

sandy you would be suprised on the up to 70 i think. it wont pull like 10 cars or somthing but id say a car or so. remember its 2 gearchanges to a vr's 1.i too run mods so you aint on your own. not sure what you run but im on 65mm fmic no cats etc n thats the way it is.

5500rpm on standard head/cam

with the cam i have i make power to 5900ish... after the headwork i hope to one-day finally get around to... hoping for power until 6300-6500... after which the 68mm pulley spins the charger too fast... so about 6500 is the highest i'm shooting for. the G60 heads suck.

i dont think any 6-speed box is a direct swap into a 5-speed... some cutting needs to be done i believe (maybe not on something like a passat...but on a corrado for sure).

i guess the TDI comparison is valid... but like you said, a NICE one.. chipped, and the G60 def. has more urgency.

i'm still hoping to come across an A1 or A2 golf shell for a good price that will get a new chipped TDI for a daily driver...torque fiend. :evil:

ive had both of these,both are very good enginesbut even better is a 20v turbo.ive just fitted one in mine and its ******* awesome

Sandy,

I just didn't like the way it only hits about 50mph in second gear and first did only around 20 mph if i remember correctly.

The VR6 has much longer ratios for 1st(40mph) and 2nd(70mph).

I've owned both, currently have VR6, and would choose a VR6 over a G60 any day. The g60 probably handles better that the VR6, lighter front end.

I reckon a G60 with new gear ratios would be the best bet! But that requires money!

Peter

I don't think there's much (if any) difference in the ratios, the problem is that the G60 rev limiter is set much lower than the VR6. This is why the speeds in each gear are lower for the G60.

I think there is another thread on the forum which suggests that all of the Corrado gearboxes use the same ratios ??

I too have driven both and prefer the later VR6 interior but with my tuned G60 engine.

The gear ratios might be the same but the final drives are different.

All corrados have the same 02A gearbox but each has it's own model number, which determines the gearset and FD ratios.

Kev

Would I be right in thinking then that as standard cars the VR6 is the better, faster and the more refined car? Just wondering as most of the comparisons seem to be a standard VR6 compared to a heavily modified G60. This leads me to think that the G60 needs these mods to stand a chance. :lol:

Surely these G60 mods do have down sides such as reduced engine life, reliability, increased noise, less than honest insurance cover etc..

There will always be these types of argument, 8v vs 16v as mentioned earlier, SNES vs Megadrive, who gives a fcuk as long as your having a laugh.

PS. 8v golf, SNES and VR6 corrado are winners for me. :)

with the money you save buying a G60 vs. a comparable VR6, you can put that cash into mods and the G60 will be quicker than the VR. if you want a bone stock corrado that you never modify, yes, the VR is quicker. but spend about $500 on a chip, pulley, FPR, maybe a cam/exhaust and the G60 is quicker. given that VR's tend to be a couple thousand more than G60, cost more to operate, and more to upgrade to the ~200whp mark, i know which one i would pick! oh wait... i did pick. G60 every time. :)

If I was buying a C now I would go fir a VR but it would have to have a 'charger or a turbo fitted.

As everybody knows forced induction rules.

Sandy G60

This whole argument hinges on exactly how you interpret the question.

If it is asked as "which is best value as a starting point for a project" it's got to be the G60 - as has been pointed out tons of times there's so much more tweakability in the engine right away.

But if the question is "which is the best performer out-of-the-box", obviously it has to be the VR6. Only 15-20 kilos heavier and 30 bhp more power? Not to mention that 6-pot smoothness and the wicked engine noise make it the winner every time for me personally.

If the VR6 shipped with a low-pressure turbo it would have been equally ripe for tweaking right from day one (now *that* would be a nice car to drive), but frankly I don't think it's worth putting a race turbo on a VR - insane power through the front wheels would appear to be a bit of a liability!!

There will always be these types of argument, 8v vs 16v as mentioned earlier, SNES vs Megadrive, who gives a fcuk as long as your having a laugh.

PS. 8v golf, SNES and VR6 corrado are winners for me. :)

Well said that man. Some people seem to forget the G60 and VR6 are actually both versions of the same car...the Corrado.

At the end of the day, what makes one Corrado faster than another is money, nothing else.

Kev