Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Clock lights

Drove my car in the dark for the first time the other day and noticed that the petrol and temp gauge seem very dim in comparsison to speedo and rev counter.

Does anyone know how many bulbs are behind the clocks or whether they are on seperate fuses??

Should be 3 bulbs - 1 over each part of the clock faces! I lost the middle one a while ago and the centre face was quite dim compared to the outer ones!

Easy to replce though and the bulb was free (out of a passat in the scrapyard :lol: )

Whats the procedure for changing the bulb??

Is it clock surround out and then withdraw the clocks??

yup... pretty much just that...

2 screws in lower surround corners and 2 at the top

then there's 2 screws on the outside of the cluster to allow it to hinge forwards from the bottom (top comes towards you, then the whole thing should lift out after you disconnect the multiplug)

If you drop the steering wheel to it's lowest setting, you should be able to get the clocks out without doing anything else... 8)

Im back on with this again.

Changed the bulb that i thought was shot and no difference.

Sat in my mates Valver the other day and his clocks are well bright.

My MFA screen and odometer windows are both lit up fine. The actual speedometer is well lit also but both sides, ie the temp gauge and revo counter are very dim.

Any ideas???

Possibly a split track on the printed circuit?

if it is,and you are alright with a soldering iron,you can bridge it.

case of checking out the printed part,a multimeter on the continuity setting would help.

Neil. :)

Are the 2 outer bulbs identical to the center one? I had a lower wattage bulb in the middle for a while which kind gave me the reverse of your problem - just a thought :?

Ill take the clocks out and have a look at that Phil K, definitely worth a try.

Ta very much

Im back on this again.....

Are there just 3 bulbs that illuminate the clock faces or are there more bulbs that i need to check.

My speedo one is lit up and it looks like the light comes from above rather than where the odometer is wher as the other 2 clocks (revs and temp) are dim as...

Any ideas peeps?????

Theclocks are lit from above by 3 bulbs... I should get them out and check the outers - my guess is still that the outers have blown or have lower wattage bulbs in them...

Sweet, i hoped you say that.

I changed the lower ones (the ones that light up the windows).

While im picking your brains Phil any tips on removing the perspex panel from the front of the clocks as i need to get those surrouns on as well while im in there??

I removed the front from the dial faces and inserted my surrounds throught the dial appertures - I wouldn't want to try to remove the perspex as I think it'd be a mare and you'd never get it back as it was :?

I think i get what you mean.

Ill be taking the clocks out either today or tomorrow so i may be asking you more questions if im not sure.

Its the last thing i want to break, sorry to be a pain.

this pic might help, i did the same as phil, i couldnt see a way of getting the front perspex off without possibly breaking it, so i took the clocks out and put the surrounds in from the back, its fiddly

i changed the colour of the lcd while i was doing it and put blue leds in the down lighting (not a good pic)

I agree with GIXXERUX - I did mine earlier in the year and it wasn't too bad either. Think G's photo is better than mine though:-

Was well worth it though - looks much better.

I think the fact that youve got the contents of a surgeons tool box on the table is what has made it look bad!!

So after getting all the circuitry off the back i need to take the clocks away from the plastic fascia??

I can then push the surounds through the gaps and stick them ( what glue did you use??)

Am i barking up the right tree here??

i used super glue but be very careful not to get it beyond the surrounds or it'll show as white on the black plastic :-(

yeah you're right in what you say, it'll become obvious when you get the dash out, i had the soldering iron out because i run an ignition 12v to the lcds so they light up during the day

Sweet, i hope i dont cock this up!!

Many thanks for all the tips.

I hope to have photos and tails of happyness on here in a couple of days..