Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

1.8 16v Golf/Corrado exhaust can be fitted to a 2.0 16v

Ive asked about this before but no one could tell me if my stainless steel exhaust which was off a golf 1.8 mk2 16v would fit my 2.0 16v corrado so decided to try it out.

The answer is yes it fits, needs the mounts on the car to be either modified or new ones made but seems a straight fit otherwise.

Saved me a few quid on buying a new system

hope this helps anyone in the same situation

Ive asked about this before but no one could tell me if my stainless steel exhaust which was off a golf 1.8 mk2 16v would fit my 2.0 16v corrado so decided to try it out.

The answer is yes it fits, needs the mounts on the car to be either modified or new ones made but seems a straight fit otherwise.

Saved me a few quid on buying a new system

hope this helps anyone in the same situation

is that a hook type hangar on the golf and the bar type on the 2.0 16v Corrado?,

if the mountings are in the right places then perhaps a golf system would go straight onto an early (hangar type) 1.8 16v Corrado?

yes golf system is a hook type and my corrado is a bar style setup, was told a few times it wasnt possible even by venom motorsport themselves said so.

Was a little worried about the lengths being different but when compared old to the new they seemed identical, except standard vag exhaust having larger silencers and weigh a hell of alot more.

Cant see any probs fitting golf exhaust to an early corrado, but please check before you go ahead and rip old exhaust off.

yes golf system is a hook type and my corrado is a bar style setup, was told a few times it wasnt possible even by venom motorsport themselves said so.

Was a little worried about the lengths being different but when compared old to the new they seemed identical, except standard vag exhaust having larger silencers and weigh a hell of alot more.

Cant see any probs fitting golf exhaust to an early corrado, but please check before you go ahead and rip old exhaust off.

my original vag centre sections and downpipe lasted 10 years and 100K they're pretty well made but like you say heavy.

I've looked at the golf parts before and always thought they were very similar, downpipe is the same part, just assumed there were slight diffeences in the floorplans of the cars,

so you reckon the tailboxes are the same length too?

Well i used a ss scorpion boxter shaper full system made for a mk2 golf gti 16v, and this fitted no problem into my corrado 2.0 16v.

I cant be 100% sure that yours will fit but theres a good chance that there wont be any problems

I originally thought the shape of the system would be different on each car but lifted the car up and compared before taking old system off.

with the tailbox its probably the easiest one to swap because its the easiest to get to if the cars rear has been lifted to get access so if you werent sure then just try it out.

One guy actually told me he fitted a gold to a rado (not sure which) but he had knocking problems, i think it probably wasnt fitted right.

let me know how it goes because if yours fits then this info will help others

Well i used a ss scorpion boxter shaper full system made for a mk2 golf gti 16v, and this fitted no problem into my corrado 2.0 16v.

I cant be 100% sure that yours will fit but theres a good chance that there wont be any problems

I originally thought the shape of the system would be different on each car but lifted the car up and compared before taking old system off.

with the tailbox its probably the easiest one to swap because its the easiest to get to if the cars rear has been lifted to get access so if you werent sure then just try it out.

One guy actually told me he fitted a gold to a rado (not sure which) but he had knocking problems, i think it probably wasnt fitted right.

let me know how it goes because if yours fits then this info will help others

cheers, I will post up any info/issues, I was mainly interested as my SS back box has always been a bit loud (noisy Janspeed stainless system I have) and I'm on the lookout for a cheapish back box to quieten things down a bit and to see if it's more restrictive with my engine mods, I may just try a standard golf back box from the scrappy just to see if it measures up and if that looks OK then invest in a newer box.

Fortunately I have access to a full garage ramp/MOT bay in the evenings/weekends so that makes life a lot easier messing with this stuff.

Cheers again, David.

i have a good condition standard VAG exhaust if you need

bit out of my way, but I am going on a weeks hols to Cornwall on Saturday so I'll be down the M5 from Bristol.

Isn't it a bar type exhaust you have tho?

I was just wondering about this Golf exhaust on a Corrado issue as Golf ones are so much cheaper. Has anyone else tried this out? I'm thinking about the back box mainly but I've got the bar type hangers so would it be easy to change the fixings on the car itself to the older type and would this fit the Golf box or does it need more adapting than that?

if your changing just the back box, i dont know if a aftermarket golf box would fit a standard corrado part. youd have to get a box and compare it i think.

like i said my golf system fitted to my corrado but i dont know if thats just due to the way scorpion built it.

best way is to compare systems before taking parts off, if they look very similar theres a good chance it can be persuaded into place.

i also took great care not to damage my original system incase it all went a bit pete tong.

Tools Used

Mole Grips

Hacksaw

Socket set

Jack

Stands

WD40 (soaked all the bolts the night before)

Screw Drivers (for levering things)

Hammer (AKA Engineers Adjusting Tool)

Parts Used

Various Rubber Exhaust Hangers

New Exhaust Clamps

Mk2 Golf rear box hanger

A long bolt for lowering the rear hanger slightly.