quicky1980

Rear glass removal

Ok ive got a spare rear hatch to use to replace my broken on my corrado, only thing is that the spare glass is bonded in, does anyone know how to take it out safely?

thanks

No expert here, but If i were to give you advice, and then again if you were to take it, then I want it known that I accept no liability :lol:

anyway, back to the question in hand.

Bonded glass is structural. (correct me if i am wrong)

How do you intend to reattach the glass if you manage to remove it without breaking it?

Find an auto glazer, they are the kiddies to do that sort of job or advise you at very least. Where it might you several hours to do the job and mabey without a successful outcome, they could do it in a matter of (45?min) andcarry insurance.

I only say this because I saw wheeler dealer one time where they were going for a full respray, and ed the micanic, who can seem to turn his hand to anything, got his mate the auto glazer to do the job for the above reason.

K-rado ( hope that haelp :D

i have just removed mine.

remove trim and then the bond is exposed - you need some serrated chees-wire-like wire and some woodn dowel or something similar. you them poke through the bond and have to saw around the bond inch by inch by ataching the wire around or through the dowl on either side and sawing back and forth - very painstaking process - i got my wire from a local windscreen replacement firm on the promise i'd be bringing the car in to get the new glass fitted

pain in the butt job

bringing this thread back from the DeAd!!

quicky did you manage to do yours in the end? as i wouldnt mind removeing my glass as i want to smooth off the wiper hole and sort out some rust areas...

Being from Paisley where we have (An undeserved) reputation for being somewhat penny pinching I hung about the local Autoglass and asked one of the fitters if he did "homers" as I needed to get rid of some rust at the seal. He did. £10 out and £10 to put it back in. Might be worth a try.

i remember a thread from years back where a successful way of getting the glass out was to lie with your back on the rear seat bases and push the glass with both feet, having a mate to catch the glass when it came out! Cant remember what prep may have been needed first though!

i remember a thread from years back where a successful way of getting the glass out was to lie with your back on the rear seat bases and push the glass with both feet, having a mate to catch the glass when it came out! Cant remember what prep may have been needed first though!

That works with non-bonded glass if you remove the trim/locking strip from the seal then ease it out while lifting the seal from inside. It WON'T work with a bonded screen.

where i live {channel islands}there isnt any windscreen companys, all we have is bodyshops {insurance jobys} which literaly charge the earth !! so getting someone else to take my rear screen out when im capable is a no go area, is there a seal thats bonded to the screen itself? like on the mk4 golf? or is the seal a seperate item? cheers...

Hey all,

What do you think the chances are of me repairing some rust to just below the rubber seal (behind rear wiper), without having to take the rear windscreen out?

I can get to the rust without removing the windscreen, but I'm not sure using an angle grinder, welder etc would crack the rear windscreen, what you reckon?

My thoughts are yes, and I should probably get it removed, then see about repairing the damage.

I’d look for a replacement hatch and swap it over. Large panels rarely sell because people won’t put themselves out to collect them in person so they’re cheap.

Rust free wins over a repaired panel every time for me, I’ve driven 100s of miles for the correct panel in the correct colour, usually early on a Sunday morning to avoid traffic

I’d look for a replacement hatch and swap it over. Large panels rarely sell because people won’t put themselves out to collect them in person so they’re cheap.

Rust free wins over a repaired panel every time for me, I’ve driven 100s of miles for the correct panel in the correct colour, usually early on a Sunday morning to avoid traffic

Very good shout! That will save me a lot of work overall. I'll take a look for a replacement panel.

I have gone through this before and did what Dox has said, but this method has its problems, the panels aren’t always as good as you would like for what ever reason, the seller sometimes isn’t as accurate as you would like. This time around I bought a new panel, £300 from heritage delivered. This was around January. 535-827-025/C after checking it’s still available but a bit more, 409 euros now. If you order through heritage it’s free delivery.

What ever you decide, good luck matey, I feel your pain.