Sign in to follow this  
CTWG60

------------

Cool,cheers for the pics 8)

May get a m8 of mine to open mine up/cut the pipes down and weld it back up :lol: Gotta make do when ya skint eh!

What new box/system? did you go for?

Neil.

i knew you put the gasket on wrong when you called saturday.. You were so adament to that it was correct that i wasn't going to argue with you.. Glad its all sorted for you and you took the advice to use Ian.. :lol:

Good old OEM VW design.. as you say, goes to show that it was designed to last! :)

Oh yes i can see how the gasses have a merry old time navigating there way through that mess. Its got an inlet and an outlet what more do you want :lol:

Looks very cool now, nice tail pipe 8)

Point of an exhaust is not to give an unrestricted outlet, it's to encourage stable linear air flow at all revs, which helps to scavenge gases from the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens.

Cars tend to run less well if they exhaust to atmosphere than through the standard exhaust system...

Question is: would a new, genuine VAG box have been just as good, perhaps even better tuned to the engine, a 15yr old box is not going to perform as new.

It's a similar problem to the one of new 'uprated' shocks, of course they'll feel better than the old OEM ones if they're shot!

Hmm. 140 vs 125 mph top speed means you had around an extra 70-80 bhp available. Unless your old exhaust was *actually blocked* I'd be somewhat surprised to see that kind of change just from the exhaust pipe!

It also backs up our Dyno plots to prove the 1.75" primery runner'd manifolds we sell are really doing the job as apposed to other's which just replace std parts with shiney stainless parts...

Ok, I see what you mean. :)

But yeah, to increase top speed by that kind of margin (130-135 up to 150) will require a significant power increase. You only require about 50 bhp to do 70 mph, but from there on up it gets really hard, because wind resistance is proportional to speed squared ..

Maybe not 70-80 bhp, that was a guesstimate based on the 125 -> 150, but certainly 40-50 bhp.

Point of an exhaust is not to give an unrestricted outlet, it's to encourage stable linear air flow at all revs, which helps to scavenge gases from the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens.

Cars tend to run less well if they exhaust to atmosphere than through the standard exhaust system...

The heat of the manifold helps pull spent gases out of the chambers and the length and bore of the collectors to the first box (expansion chamber usually) is key.....the rest of the system is there to quieten it down....so the quicker the gases can get from box 1 to the tailpipe, the better. VAG's excessive baffling doesn't help here.