Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

New engine smoking!!

:shock:

Ok so I've been told to expect a bit of oil consumption and maybe even a bit of smoke whilst the new engine is running-in, but today i reversed the car and saw a load of smoke blowing back at me from the exhaust.

I also noticed some when sitting idling at a traffic light - thats a classic sign of piston rings isn't it?

Anyway, should I be worried and get the car straight back to Vince? Or is it relatively normal?

Help please!!

Blue smoke I take it?

How many miles has it done since, err, new?

If it hasn't cleared up within a few hundred miles, something is wrong. I certainly don't recall ever seeing new Golf and Corrado VR6s smoking from the showroom!!

what oil is in it?? dont say synthetic as they dont allow the rings to bed in

Too true, straight past the rings and the seals :cry:

Ok so I've been told to expect a bit of oil consumption and maybe even a bit of smoke whilst the new engine is running-in, but today i reversed the car and saw a load of smoke blowing back at me from the exhaust.

What COLOUR?

You'll definitely see steam when it's still cold, can be a bit unnerving at first..

Definately smoke. Slightly blue I guess.

Not synthetic oil - posssbly semi though? Vince said any would be fine.

600 miles only.

Mineral oil is kind whilst bedding an engine in but im pretty sure VW would of used 10-40 silver or equilavent on all there new engines from the showroom.

I think I'll drain whatever they put in today (first oil change) and stick some duckhams mineral in there. Its only done 20 miles since the oil change.

Should I go for a 10-40 to start or something thicker? What would be the grade of a slightly thicker oil? 15-40 or 10-50? I'm confused :)

Actually when the VR came out it would have been fitted with 15w40 in the factory, like it says in the guide book. 10w40 semi synth would NOT have been fitted.

Of course after the first dealer service all bets are off...

Yeah - but they pride themselves on customer service mate and if its something they've done wrong, they will bust their backs to fix it for you as quickly as possible.

Yeah - but they pride themselves on customer service mate and if its something they've done wrong, they will bust their backs to fix it for you as quickly as possible.

Yeah I agree mate, but still not what you want or expect from that kinda fiscal outlay :(

And it's fekin miles away so any return trips are a reet pain in the aerosol.

Saying that, I went out for my early morning blat and there was no sign of any smoke.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions matey - I'm not having a go at Vince or anything don't worry! :)

I just don't want to see smoke!!!!

I'm not jumping to any conclusions matey - I'm not having a go at Vince or anything don't worry! :)

I just don't want to see smoke!!!!

you don't have an oiled air filter do you? (K&N etc..) I got the fright of my life when I saw blue smoke from my newish block, turned out to be a re-oiled Jetex panel filter that had taken a few journeys for the oil to make it's way off the filter through the inlet and burn't out into the exhaust, only lasted a hundred miles or so.

Right so no smoke on start-up/when it's cold.

Then when it's warmed up there's smoke.

So that sounds like the thinned hot oil getting past the piston rings does it not? Any other reason it would smoke at idle?

So what was the outcome then? Did you ring Stealth? Is it still smoking?

Just concerned as I and others are awaiting rebuilt engines from Stealth and if there's a remanufacturing issue, they need to be informed.

the motor they made for me was awesome a 1.916v ported head, wur mod rr at the end for my mk2 golf it did use oil at first but it was this real thin oil then he changed it for his normal stuff, i had to run it in no going over 2k for 100 miles then 3 k for 500miles then rr tune , then i ran it in to 1000miles .it went from a tight engine to a monster in a month .

wish i still had that car :D