Sign in to follow this  
DelMonty

Buckled wheel repair

One of the C's alloys has a flat spot and a slight wobble, I understand companies such as http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk can fix this, but others are saying it's not a good idea to do, as they may break up at high speed :shock:

I'd really like to keep the set and fix the wheel, as I can't find a replacement and they look good on the C, but I'm worried by getting them repaired it could impede safety... :?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

My wheels were refurbed by the fellas at wicked wheels and over a year later they still look brand new!!

Definitely recommended

Can they really repair a buckle in their mobile van? I was under the impression buckles needed to be done at a workshop.

Ah: "Can you repair bent or cracked wheels?

No, we don`t recommend straightening or welding wheels. It is always best to replace. Please call us for a quote. Wheels which are kerbed or scratched are easily repaired on-site."

But they also say: "Kerb damage, chipped alloys, scraped alloys, scuffed alloys or even pot hole damaged wheels - our Alloy Wheel repair and refurbishment service will help get your car looking its best again."

Do you think the flat spot could be classed as pot hole damage?

You can 'roller' out buckles, so long as it's done progressively over several turns.

Depends how bad the buckle is, sometimes it is indeed better to cut your losses and replace it / them.

Welding is OK for rebuilding kerbed off metal, which is then lathed back down, but I wouldn't weld cracks personally..... which is prolly what they meant when they said it's a bad idea.

Thanks all, gave them both a ring today, http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk said they can fix buckles, flat spots for around £26+VAT for a 16", and say it's safe as long as the wheel is complete and there are no cracks, which is good to hear. Only bad thing is I'm going to have to post or deliver the wheel myself, probably the latter after hearing Blue_Joe's courier experience :)

Tried http://www.wickedwheels.co.uk as well but unfortunately the lady on the phone said they don't repair buckles, only scuffs, corrosion, kerbing etc....

Just did an RAC route plan using postcodes to wheelrefurbishing.com and the distance is 66.6 miles, was an omnious moment seeing that, maybe it's not a good idea after all :)

BTW, the pro wheel refurbishers consider "buckled" to mean that the wheel isn't straight, i.e. when it spins on the bearing the rim wobbles left-right .. This means you have to heat and re-bend the wheel spokes, not a simple repair.

Just a "dent" in the rim is much easier to push out, because the whole wheel is still straight - i.e. it's a localised repair.

Ah ok, this is most likely the difference between the types of repair the 2 companies listed above do.

This may be a silly question, but could the hub be affected over time by a buckled wheel?

DelMonty... did you get this sorted yet? There is a great place in Melton Mowbray that will sort you out, and they are not expensive either.

Belmont Metal Finishers - 01664 822 482.

Have used them quite a few times, and they have delivered the results every time.