Sign in to follow this  
toon vw

coilovers ??

can some explain in very simple terms what the difference is between coilovers & damper & spring sets? :scratch: thinking about lowering my c a bit, just need a bit of general advice, good height for a daily driver, value for money etc. cheers guys

Hello,

Basic difference is that Coilovers are a single unit which include the damper with the spring encircling it, because they one piece it means that often you can adjust the height of them and therefor the height of your car.

Alternatively you can buy the shock (damper) & springs seperately and match them for your specific needs.

Coilovers are considered to be better because of the way they handle load. You can get some great shock/spring setups as well though but they ar not height adjustable. Coilovers are usually more expensive.

I'd check out the Suspension discussion Thread for more info.

Hope that helps.

Just to add.

Both coilovers and struts/springs may or may not come with damper adjust. It mainly depends on how much you spend.

Coilovers sometimes (more often than not) come with helper springs, these act as a progressive spring similar in design to eibach's lower coils found on their springs.

The helper springs stop the main spring flapping about when the car is jacked up, but you can also tune them to act as spring assistors (by fitting stiffer ones) if so desired though.

IMO it's much better to do away with the stupid things and just shorten the damper bodies, which makes the car a lot more responsive anyway.

The term "Coilover" can be used to describe either type of suspension though. It just means "Coil" spring "over" McPherson strut. For some reason racing geeks nicked the term years ago to describe ride height adjustable kits......i.e threaded damper bodies and 2.5" springs.

thanks for that info, are there any particular shock/spring makes which make sound financial sense aswell as doing there job well?

also would 40mm all round drop be a good balance between looks/performance & daily driving?

for you guys with the height adjustable jobbies, are they any good? do you actually use them (adjust them i mean)?

cheers

40mm sounds good to me. If you're looking for a budget yet solid kit then you'd do worse than the weitec kit which lowers 40/40 and that's non adjustable spring/shock kit.

There's a huge thread on what suspension so best read that first if you're considering collies.. :)

If you're a fit and forget kind of guy, fixed components are probably better for you.

Ride height adjustables allow you to fine tune the height at each corner and also allow to raise or slam according to mood. Also great for changes of wheel sizes because you can close up the gap lower profile tyres create.

You can also corner weight the car with RHAs, although it is slightly pointless on a solid rear axle tbh.

Yep i'm definately a fit & forget kind of guy, especially the forget part birthdays, anniversaries etc the mrs is always moaning about it! :roll:

The weitec 40mm sports suspension shocks/springs does look good value & it seems to pretty popular choice with alot of the forum members, any idea on fitting prices?

Probably worth mentioning that topmounts and the like should be replaced at the same time... else you might not be getting the full effect of the new kit. This can add up if you want the good stuff (i.e. the better VR6 topmounts, and all the extras to get them fitting)

It's a Rado.... nothing is ever simple, and when you have one part replaced it's almost always good to check what else should be done at the same time.